Monday, May 22, 2006

What Makes Your Heart Sing?

I just got back from visiting the Southern Virginia University Campus. Deep in the Shenandoah Valley, it's like heaven. The campus is really old and beautiful. You can hear the echoes of students past in the halls, feel the love of learning that emanates from the handcrafted woodwork. It made my heart sing--and revived a long forgotten dream of teaching.

I publish LDS homeschool curriculum (among other things) and I was there for the LDSEHE homeschool convention. Networking with other vendors, talking to homeschool parents--particularly the newbies--that made my heart sing too.

I believe in homeschool. I was blessed to homeschool my children for 6 glorious months--having them with me full time, learning and growing and creating together, experiencing the intense joy I found in communing with those four unique souls--that felt like heaven and my heart sang then, too.

When I had to put my precious children back into public school, I refused to let go of the homeschool dream. Although circumstances combined to make homeschool impossible for me, I still believed in it with all my heart. When I was commissioned to write curriculum for the public school system, I made sure that my books could be used easily in homeschools too. I found some peace in creating products that would help and support parents who could homeschool, even if I could not.

But I haven't written any homeschool curriculum in many years. My time has been absorbed in the process of making a living. My attention goes to the area of most urgent demand. I had forgotten how much I loved this. All last week, as I mingled with other vendors and discussed homeschool curriculum ideas, projects and possibilities, my heart just sang and sang and sang--one aria after another.

I came home from Virginia filled with a divine discontent over the quality of my work day. So much of it is spent in things that drag my heart down. Facing a Monday morning and work as usual was just too much for me. My heart stopped singing. My heart began to cry.

And so I have made a decision. I do not know how I'm going to do it. And I do not know when. Nor do I know what it will end up looking like. But I am committed to changing my life so that I can spend the majority of my work day doing the things that make my heart sing.

I'm starting a choir of heart singers. Want to join? There are only two requirements:

1.) A desire to change

2.) The answer to the question: What makes your heart sing? (If you want to share, please post what makes your heart sing in the comments trail.)

1 comment:

JWH said...

I wanna join! Actually I think lots of people should join. I believe that the whole reason the world (in general) is so uptight and cranky is because they have forgotten what makes their hearts sing. I've forgotten too! Your first requirement is a desire to change. And you know about 6 months ago I joined LatterDayAuthors that was a first step in make a change in my life. But I still have a long way to go. Next what makes my heart really sing is when I know I've made a difference. Whether I write to inspire, or read lots of books to my kids, or help out a neighbor. The down side for me is that I don't spend enough time taking care of myself. So I end up worn out, and feeling yucky. I will have to make a plan to really become a heart singer. Great Idea!