Monday, October 23, 2006

Lost Obsession

I am obsessed with the television show Lost. I don't get to watch it much during its regular season because: 1) It competes with American Idol and I get outvoted by the celebrity judges who live in my home; and 2) I keep forgetting it's on. I know, that sort of runs contrary to the definition of obsession, except that by 7:00 p.m., I rarely know what day it is because I'm exhausted from all the chair twirling and bon-bon eating I do all day.

I know a woman who would claim I was possessed because she thinks that show is evil. She spent nearly an hour telling me how horrified she was that her RS pres watched Lost and how that almost shattered her testimony. I didn't say anything because I didn't want to be the final nail in her spiritual coffin. But let me just say here, I do not believe the island is controlled by aliens. I do not believe the people are dead and in hell. I do not believe that evil incarnate is running amok on the island. I think it's a very clever psychological experiment and I can't wait to see what happens next.

Last year, one of my kids gave me Season 1 for Christmas. We had a family marathon and watched the whole thing all at once. Talk about a piece of writing that balances plot and character well.

The week Season 2 came out, I happened to be at Wal-Mart and it just fell into my cart. What could I do? I had to take it home with me. We've been doing another marathon in short relays. It's hard to work around eveyone's schedules. We finished it up last night. I had to talk to one daughter on her cell phone as she drove home in the middle of the night. Then I had to walk another daughter downstairs and tuck her in. I don't get why it freaks them out. Everyone knows that it's the monsters under the bed you need to be afraid of, not a bunch of psycho kooks who play games with your mind.

Anyway, Season 2 is not quite as strong as Season 1, but it's still very, very good. And when you watch the shows all in a row, you see a complexity that you miss when you go a whole week in between. I highly recommend the series.


Now Playing on my intented iPod: The Lion Sleeps Tonight by The Tokens

No comments: