Thursday, January 04, 2007

Step 1: Paint Master Bedroom

I've mentioned before that my mother-in-law lived with us for 9 years. She was part of the package when I married my husband. When we bought our house, we picked one that she would be comfortable in and that had a master bedroom with a bath for her. My husband and I used one of the smaller bedrooms.

She moved out November 4, 2005 to go live with another son. That was 14 months ago. The master bedroom has been empty and unused since then. I just haven't had the time to make it mine yet. We did get a bed in there around May. And I bought paint in August. But it's mostly been a shove-all-the-extra-crap-in-here room.

Until now.

I told my husband I wanted to fix up that room and that he was to give me an IOU for that purpose as my combo birthday/anniversary/Christmas gift this year (2006). So he wrote me a check for $1,000,000 and put it in my stocking. Sweet man.

On New Year's Day, we went shopping for dressers. They're being delivered on Friday. So that means, I HAVE to get that room painted before then. Fortunately, I like to paint--except for the baseboards. There is just no easy way to paint baseboards.

So I decided for this room, I wouldn't paint the baseboards, or the door trim, or the ceiling, or even inside the closets. I'd leave them white.

Did I say there is no easy way to deal with baseboards? Not only is there no easy way to paint them, there is also no easy way to keep the wall paint from slopping over onto them. And once you paint the baseboards, you have to paint the door trim and the inside of the closet, or else it just looks stupid.

Total Time Commitment:
Moving out the furniture, taking down all the fixtures and outlet faces, taping, plugging holes, painting baseboards, trim and closet, touching up the spots you missed, clean up, putting fixtures back up, moving furniture back in = 8 hours.

Painting the walls (the fun part) = 15 minutes.







Room after painting:




Living Room with all the crap that came out of the Master Bedroom, 90% of which will not be going back in and will have to find a new home:


Now Playing on my Real iPod: Cheeseburger in Paradise by Jimmy Buffet (aka The Painting Song)

1 comment:

G. Parker said...

Okay...you can come paint my house anytime!!! LOL. Isn't it amazing how long it takes just to MOVE things? Glad you are finally getting your room back!