Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Aspheric Lenses

I have an eye disease which has pretty much grounded me after dark. My eyes won't adjust fast enough to keep up with the speed of the car. Driving on the freeway after dark has become the most terrifying experience of my life--so I don't do it anymore. Even riding with people after dark is a lesson in terror. I have no depth perception in the dark, so it looks like we're about to hit the car next to us when we're really several feet away.

This condition is really a pain because in the winter, it means I can't go anywhere after 5:00 p.m. without a driver. So I'm really excited that the time changed last weekend--earlier than usual. I get to stay out a whole hour longer. Yippee!

Anyway, because of this eye condition, I have to go to the opthamologist more frequently than the average bear. I went yesterday and found out about something new--aspheric lenses. They supposedly make for a crisper image and help you see better in the dark. My doctor says it makes a huge difference for some people, just a little difference for others and there's no way of knowing how much it will help you without trying them.

So I ordered some new lenses and they'll be here in a week or so. I'm really excited to try them. Even if it only helps a little bit, it might allow me to drive in my neighborhood after dark, or go to the grocery store. I'll let you know how they work for me.

Now Playing on my Beloved iPod: I Can See Clearly Now by Johnny Nash

No comments: