Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Heroin on a budget

Okay, not really. But it got your attention, didn't it?

My drug of choice (after Nouggies and RS Dark Chocolate) is reading books. Like any other addict, I need a regular fix—sometimes as often as 1 or 2 books a week.

I've tried the government subsidized drug program (aka library), but most of the time the books I want are on terminal hold or lost forever.

I've also tried Drugs R Us (aka D.I.—Utah's version of the Goodwill), but it's too hard to find the book you want unless you're willing to browse through 2,000 titles every time you go.

That leaves buying my books off the street (aka retail). I can't afford my habit. At the rate I read, I could easily spend $40 a week. I've resorted to stealing books from neighbors, family and friends. Of course, I usually give them back, reluctantly. But sometimes I forget they're not mine and I write in the margins.

I just discovered a drug, I mean, book sharing program that seems great and very affordable.


Paperback Swap is a free program (for now). You sign up online. When you post your first 9 books to swap, you get 3 credits. You use these credits to "buy" books; 1 credit = 1 book. Additional credits are earned each time someone "buys" a book from you or you can purchase a package of credits from the PBS kiosk. The owner/shipper of the book pays for postage.

It's not just paperbacks either. You can swap hardbacks and books on cassette/CD as well. They also have a Member Wish List where you can ask for specific titles. I took a quick look and realized I have quite a few books that members want and that I'd be happy to part with. It looks really easy and they have lots of titles that I want. I'll be starting my swapping this weekend. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Now playing on my iPod: This is How It Goes by Aimee Mann

1 comment:

Sandra said...

Oh great, now I have somewhere else to find books to keep me from cleaning my kitchen!
And speaking of borrowing from friends and neighbors, Jessica asked me if you still had that book about the football player that you borrowed from me. ;)