Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Tag Train

I got tagged last week. I really don't like to do these things because they make me have to think too hard. But I do understand that they help promote web traffic and I'm all for that. At least she's not asking me to mail dish towels to twelve different people. So here goes.
______________________________

Remove the blog from the top, move all the blogs up one, and add yourself to the bottom.

Ennui in the Grocery
Novembrance
The Lyon's Tale
Sundial in the Shade
Inksplasher

What were you doing ten years ago?
I was a newlywed. My new husband, his mother, my two youngest children and I had just moved into a new house. I worked as a technical writer, in-house (which I hated) and I weighed 300 pounds.

What were you doing one year ago?
Trying to keep my publishing company alive and launch a new imprint for LDS home school curriculum.

Five snacks you enjoy:
1. Russell Stover's Sugar-Free Dark Chocolate miniatures & /or Nutty Nouggie Chews
2. Wheatables (low fat; I don't care about the fat content, but the regular ones taste greasy)
3. Bananas & sweet red grapes
4. Movie popcorn and Russell Stover's Sugar-Free Mint Patties in alternating bites
5. Oatmeal

Five songs you know all the lyrics to:
[I don't think there's a single song I know all the lyrics to, but I think I know most of these]
1. 5 o'clock Somewhere by Alan Jackson and Jimmy Buffet
2. Cheeseburger in Paradise by Jimmy Buffet
3. The Pretender by Jackson Browne
4. I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor
5. Where You Lead, I Will Follow by Carole King

Things you would do if you were a millionaire:
1. Restart my publishing company
2. Buy a house where everything works
3. Buy a car that is any color other than rust
4. Start about 20 other companies I've had ideas for and hire all my friends and family to work for me
5. Buy Wallsburg, UT and kick everybody out and only let people I like move in

Five bad habits:
1. Procrastination
2. Don't finish things
3.
4.
5.

Five things you like to do:
1. Write
2. Read
3. Hang with my fam
4. Blog
5. Sleep

Things you will never wear again:
1. My wedding dress—I don't weigh 300 pounds anymore
2. Orange
3. High heels
4. Spandex (oh wait, I never wore that!)
5. Blue eye shadow

Five favorite toys:
1. Mac laptop
2. My UB fragrance designer kit
3. Words
4. My MIRACLE iPod
5. Carter

Where will I be in ten years?
Finishing up a world signing tour to promote my 20th best-selling novel. Teaching creative writing during summer term at some prestigious university. Owner of a dozen businesses. Mayor of Wallsburg.

Five people to tag:
1. Megan
2. Elle (Megan said I could...)
3. Sandra
4. Suan
5. McKenna


Now playing on my iPod: Dream On by Aerosmith

7 comments:

Josi said...

LOL--Love it Karlene. I'm also a huge Jimmy buffet fan (Parrotheads rule) and must try those sugar free candies. If I had my million dollars, I'd restart your publishing house as well. Thanks for playing!

McKenna Gordon said...

!!!! I've secretly wished to be blog-tagged for...gosh, a century now. Now all my wildest dreams will come true.

Marsha Ward said...

I, on the other hand, think Alan Jackson rules! Jimmy can come along and sing with Alan, though.

Tristi Pinkston said...

Okay, did you really weigh 300 pounds, or did you just say that as hyperbole? Because I can't picture your frame carrying 300 pounds.

And now of course we all want to know how you lost it, too.

Anna Maria Junus said...

Most women can't fit into their wedding dresses.

I want to know how you lost it too.

Karlene said...

Uhmm, no, Tristi. 300 pounds is not my usual flight into hyperbole. In fact, I quit getting on the scales when I hit 300, but my pants continued to get tighter. Next time you come to my house, I'll show you a photo. For everyone else, you'll just have to trust me...or others who knew me then can chime in and verify.

How did I lose the weight? You're not going to like my answer. I know that because I didn't like it the first time I heard it either because it isn't a weight loss program; it is a coming to God program.

I joined Heart t' Heart, an LDS 12 step organization, and I started living by the 12 Steps (which is basically the gospel, chunked down into baby steps). My key course of study was He Did Deliver Me from Bondage by Colleen C. Harrison and the scriptures, primarily the Book of Mormon.

It took YEARS of daily study and practice before I finally trusted God enough to listen when He told me how to lose the weight. In fact, the first 10 years I was in this program I continued to gain weight. But I’m a slow learner. Other people I know "got it" way before I did. If you'd like to see what that "daily study" looks like, some of it's posted over on my Insights blog. These posts reflect 19+ years of living the 12 steps to varying degrees and lots of life lessons. I was nowhere this “insightful” (cough-cough) when I first started. :)

Tristi Pinkston said...

Ah -- yes, you were tagged! How did I not remember commenting here? :) My tag is therefore rescinded. Rest in peace.