Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Top 10 reasons NOT to have laser hair removal

I've been thinking of having laser hair removal done since 1992, when I was diagnosed with a disease that caused excessive facial hair growth. Since my goal in life is to avoid as much pain as possible, I've never done it.

Until Monday. After 15 years of gathering up my courage, I used a free treatment coupon that I got at a women's expo last month. The fact that I wouldn't have to actually pay someone to hurt me made it a little easier.

In honor of this experience, here is my list of the top 10 reasons not to have laser hair removal:

10. It takes 6 to 10 treatments, spaced 3 to 4 weeks apart to get 80% of your hair gone.

9. After all the hair is gone, you still need to have 2 to 4 treatments each year for "maintenance."

8. You can smell burning when they do it. Quite unnerving.

7. The area lasered stays tender for several days after.

6. You will get red welts. Depending on the individual, these red welts disappear in a few hours, or a few days.

5. You cannot pluck or wax your hair between treatments.

4. It is dang expensive. Expect to spend $300-$700 (or more), depending on what you're lasering.

3. You have to let your unsightly hair grow out before your treatment sessions, which means people will see it.

2. The hairs don't vaporize into oblivion. Nor do they fall out immediately. They can take up to 10 days to fall out.

1. It HURTS!


The number one (and only) reason that I will do it anyway:

I'm afraid I'll wake up one morning and see this in the bathroom mirror.



Now playing on my iPod: Hair by The Early November

5 comments:

Suan said...

i would really love to do the laser hair removal but seriously how do you handle the in between hair growth and what do you do before the hair falls out?
i couldn't just go to work like that...swuan

Suan said...

ok i really can spell my name
...suan

Karlene said...

You're allowed to shave in between, but not for a couple of days after and a couple of days before the treatments.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking on getting hair removal but you are right, if I have to pay someone to hurt me I would be completely CRAZY, unless you're are the one of the richest people in the world.
--McKenna Wright

Julie Wright said...

ACK! You've convinced me (and apparently my daughter too, who took over my computer to leave a comment) I'd always planned on making a day of it for her and I to get lasered, but I think we'll stick to razors. :)