Thursday, June 14, 2007

Welcome to the Summer Reading Thing!

Katrina over on Callapidder Days isn’t doing a Summer Reading Thing, so I thought I would.

Here are the basic details (and yes, I’m sticking very closely to her format. Why reinvent the wheel?):

Who: The Summer Reading Thing 2007 (no, I’m not very creative; I steal all my ideas from other people) is for anyone who’s game and up for a reading challenge.

What: A summer reading challenge for everyone. Set your goals and track your progress. No goal is too small; no ambition too great.

When: June 22nd through September 22nd, 2007. (At that point, Katrina will start her Fall reading program and we can all go back over there and read with her.)

Where: The blogosphere. Join up using Mr. Linky. Post your summer reading list on your blog and backlink here.

Why: To promote literacy around the world. Yeh, right. Because we’re addicted to reading or we need a kick in the pants to get us started.

How:
1. Make a list of books you’d like to read during the summer. Check your bookshelves and nightstands for unread (or unfinished) books. Go to the library. Browse your local bookstore or amazon.com. Check the book lists from Katrina’s Spring Reading Thing or last year’s Fall Into Reading. Ask your friends and neighbors for suggestions. Encourage them to join as well. Start a group where you all read the same books. That’s cool too.

2. Decide which book(s) you’re going to read. There are 13 weeks of summer. If your goal is to read one book this summer, that’s great. If your goal is to read 13 books, or even 26 books, that’s great, too.

*I’d like to suggest that we stretch a little. If you normally read fiction, put at least one non-fiction on your list (and vice versa). Try a genre you don’t usually read. (For me, that would be romance.) Try a new author chosen totally at random. Make your list challenging and FUN!

3. Write your blog post defining your list. If you have all your books nearby, you could stack them up, take a photo and post it. If you’ve really got time on your hands, provide a link to amazon.com for each of your titles. Totally up to you.

4. Come back here and use Mr. Linky to join up and backlink to this site. Let’s support each other in this fun summer reading challenge. Visit the blogs of other participants and POST COMMENTS! We all love comments.

(I promise I will visit the site of every participant and post a comment on your book list post, your book review post(s), your recap post, and at least one other non-Summer Reading Thing post.)

5. Feel free to use the Summer Reading Thing 2007 image in your sidebar and/or in your post. If you know how to do it, please link the image back to this post. (I tried to do instructions for you, but it keeps displaying them all weird. Sorry, I'm not the most code savvy person. If anyone knows how to do that, please put instructions in the comments section.) [Click the comments link at the bottom of this post. Instructions are in the second comment. Thank you, Sandra!]

6. Regularly (defined by you) update your posted reading list on your original blog post. Change the color of the text or cross through them as you finish each book.

7. Almost Entirely Optional: Post reviews of the books you read on your blog. Use the Mr. Linky on the Summer Reading Thing Reviews page to link back to your blog. (This is entirely optional, but required if you want to win the Grand Prize.)

8. At the end of the summer, write a recap post telling us about your experiences in pursuing your reading goals. I’ll have a list of questions for you to consider answering and another Mr. Linky to be posted the last week of the summer (September 15th).

9. And yes, there will be prizes. Like Katrina, I’ll choose one participant at random at the end of the summer who will receive a $10 gift certificate to Amazon.com.

Grand Prize Eligibility Requirements:
  • Join Summer Reading Thing 2007 by posting your reading list on your blog and signing up through Mr. Linky by midnight (MST) on Friday, June 29th, 2007

  • Post at least one book review and use the Mr Linky here to share it with us.

  • Post a recap of your Summer Reading Thing 2007 experience on your blog and link through the recap Mr. Linky by midnight (MST) on Saturday, September 29th, 2007 (one week after the summer ends). (Recap page will be posted September 15th.)
Note: You can join Summer Reading Thing 2007 at any time; deadlines are only for prize eligibility.

Other prizes will be given out randomly during the summer, regardless of when you join. Prizes to be announced later, but they will all be books.

Okay, that’s it. Let’s get reading!

Click here to join Summer Reading Thing 2007.

P.S. Thanks, Katrina, for your wonderful idea. Everyone, go visit Katrina at Callapidder Days and post a comment somewhere telling her how much we love her idea!

7 comments:

Anna Maria Junus said...

This sounds like fun. I signed up and I'm off to make my list now.

Sandra said...

To link the image to this post do this:
After you have saved the image and added it to your post, come back to this post, right click on the address that is in the toolbar and choose "copy"
Go back to your unpublished post.
Right click on the image
choose the "link" button on the toolbar.
Paste the address that you just copied from this post and click save.

You have just linked to this post.

Now, I have to make my list as well.

Josi said...

Me too, me too! Fun Idea Karlene.

Julie Wright said...

Sweet! I'm off to make my list. I have a stack of books that require my attention!

Stephanie Humphreys said...

I signed up. This sounds like a lot of fun and I can't wait to read everyone else's list and reviews.

Alice Teh said...

Hi Karlene, at first I thought it was at Katrina's, but I couldn't find it though. LOL. Turns out that it's right here on your site. Cool challenge! I participated in Spring Reading Thing a few months back.

Candace Salima (LDS Nora Roberts) said...

Okay, I joined the Summer Reading Program. Created my Readers List, which will post tomorrow. Added a review I did to Mr. Linky -- and named it Candace Salima instead of Up Close and Dangerous -- Big Sigh. At least I fulfilled on the requirements.