Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Have I mentioned how much I hate electronics?

If you'll recall, my Mac laptop died last month. It was really, really sad. I cried. A lot.

But then I got a new one--the one on the left.


I had ambivalent feelings at first, but it really is a lot nicer and faster than my old one. And I was so much more productive--which is a good thing because the whole fiasco put me about 10 days off schedule on some books. My clients were not happy.

So, guess where my new laptop is right now at this very moment? Yep...


Do I need to say I cried again?

They think it's the power source. If they can diagnose it today, and order the new part by 3:00 p.m., it should be here tomorrow morning and I can probably pick it up before they close tomorrow. (Notice all those qualifiers?)

Of course, it's covered by warranty so all it's going to cost me is my time. But right now, time is in short demand. I have 6 books that need to be finished in four weeks. One of them should have gone to press today--files are on the Mac. Another is due tomorrow. Files are on the Mac. Two more books are due next Wednesday, neither of which I have started yet because, yep, files are on the Mac.

Working as a greeter at Wal-Mart is looking better and better.

Now playing on my iPod: I'm afraid to touch it because it might blow up too.

P.S. Before anyone leaves a smart-aleck comment about Macs (cough-dad-cough!), let me just say that I've been using Macs since 1991 and I've never, ever had this much trouble before. When they work, Macs work flawlessly, as opposed to PCs which crash and burn every time you sneeze in their general direction.

3 comments:

Jen said...

We've been going through the nonsense as well...Paul updated our virus software, which made it so none of my websites would work. We un-updated it, and it lost a required component and wouldn't work at all. Then windows updates wouldn't install. Finally got new virus software, and it made our LAN connection stop working...got that fixed, but Windows still won't update...

Tristi Pinkston said...

Oh, man!! I think there's nothing worse than having a computer down when you need it.

Well, okay, starving children in Africa -- that's pretty bad. But you know what I mean.

Hatton Cousin - Roger said...

Ha I told you that the mac wasn't a real computer........

Dad