Monday, September 17, 2007

My Summer Reading Thing Recap

1. How many total books did you read? Were you surprised by that number?
I read a total of 16 books. Yes, I it was a surprise because the past two years I've been a pitifully poor reader; able to count the two year total on one hand, with a couple of fingers left over. This challenge kicked me back into my normal reading habits. I loved it!

2. How do you feel about what you read?
I really enjoyed it. I read some great books that will now be part of my permanent library.

3. Which was your favorite book, and why?
Hands down, Harry Potter. I love the genre; I love the story; I love the writing. I'm not so fanatical that I stood in line at midnight to get my book, but I did hit the store first thing the next morning.

4. Which was your least favorite, and why?
I can't decide between Princess Academy or Book of the Dead. Princess Academy was fine, but I just wasn't into it. Book of the Dead was a little too violent and part of a series that I hadn't read the earlier books.

5. What about your stretch book? Did you find that you enjoyed it after all? Are you planning to read more of that genre/author?
My stretch was Counting Stars because 1) it's a romance, and 2) it's an LDS romance. I didn't think I'd like it at all. But I really, really did like it. Yes, I absolutely will read her next book and I'm even considering reading more LDS romance. (In fact, I just checked one of Annette's books out from the library, but don't tell anyone I admitted to that.)

6. Did you discover a new author that you're excited about?
Michelle Paige Holmes (Counting Stars) and Scott Westerfield (Uglies, Pretties). I want to read more by both of them.

7. What did you learn about yourself through this reading experience? Was this fun? Do you want to continue (if so, sign up for Katrina's Fall Into Reading challenge.)
I learned that I NEED to read. It's a part of who I am and I lose touch with parts of myself when I don't read. I also learned that I can't ignore an entire genre (romance) just because I dislike most of it. I need to be more open-minded. I also learned how much fun it is to share about books I've read and to read the reviews of others. I did this challenge concurrently with the Read Together Challenge and I absolutely loved reading books with my daughters and then talking about them later. I hope we continue to do that for a long time to come. Now, if I could just get my son and my husband to join in...

And yes, I've already signed up for Katrina's Fall Into Reading Challenge. Hope to see you over there! And then come back here for a Winter Reading challenge.

2 comments:

Tristi Pinkston said...

Karlene, I've got a blog award for you. Come get it!

http://tristipinkston.blogspot.com/2007/09/im-wonder-woman.html

Candace Salima (LDS Nora Roberts) said...

Wow, I need to stop and think about all those questions with my own reading list. I still have three books to finish and I snuck in three others that were really good.

Have a safe journey.