Friday, September 14, 2007

Prize Time!

Only one week and one day left of the Summer Reading Thing. That means it's time for more prizes.


Dying for Chocolate by Diane Mott Davidson. This is #6 in a series of murder mysteries, but you don't have to read them in order.

Meet Goldy Bear [I know. It's okay, really]: a wildly inventive caterer whose personal life has become a recipe for disaster. She's got an abusive ex-husband, mounting bills, and two men courting her favor.

Goldy moves to ritzy Aspen Meadow, where she accepts a job as a live-in cook. Just as she's beginning to think she's got it made, the handsome local shrink (and one of her beaus) inexplicably drives his BMW into an oncoming bus.

Convinced his death was no accident, Goldy decides to investigate on her own—an investigation that almost gets her and her son killed!



Kaleidoscope Season by Sharon Downing Jarvis. Jarvis is probably best known for her Fairfield series, but I liked this book much better. The copy I am giving away is from the first printing and has a different cover.

Emily Jean Knowles is determined to discover the truth about the past. She is an inquisitive 12 year old orphan who lives with her Granna in Tatum, GA. The summer ofr 1948, send Emily Jean's life into a kaleidoscopic tumble when she is allowed to visit her other grandmother—her father's mother, and someone she didn't know existed. Since her birth, Emily Jean's Granna has spoken disparagingly of her father. Will she find out why he has caused such grief in her home?

Just as significant is her new-found friendship with a young Mormon missionary. She and her Unble Bob, who is studying to be a minister, must make Christian decisions concerning this "un-Christian" religion. Can they find the truth each is seeking so desperately.

Eligibility:

1. Must be signed up for the Summer Reading Thing 2007. (If you're not, sign up now.)

2. Must leave a comment on THIS POST in the next 24 hours. (Before September 15th, 11:30 A.M.)

P.S. Both books have been gently read.

8 comments:

Suan said...

i'm commenting on your post :)
i need a GOOD book
after reading the twilight series i tried to read uglies
the key work here is tried
i can't get into it at all
i need a book that is just as good as twilight-- what do you suggest
i need your help ! and you should feel obligated since you started it :)
suan

Sandra said...

Booth look like a good read.

Annette Lyon said...

Chocolate?! I need to read that one.

Karlene said...

Okay, I need some help everyone. What do we recommend for Suan? My problem is that I liked Uglies better than Twilight. So she's probably not going to like other things that I suggest.

Stephanie Humphreys said...

Okay, anything with chocolate has to be good.

Anna Maria Junus said...

Yeah! I made the deadline.

Tristi Pinkston said...

Hi there, I made it too!

I do need to correct your blog, though, sorry -- her name is really Goldy Schultz, and her catering company's motto is "Where everything is just right." Her name's not actually Bear.

But lest being critical removes me from the drawing, I shall shut up, although, seein' as how I won last time, maybe I should shut up anyway. :)

Karlene said...

Thanks for the correction, Tristi. I read these books about two years ago. I just typed the info from the back of the book and when I typed in "Goldy Bear" (it IS on the back of the book), something tweaked in my brain that it wasn't quite accurate, but I didn't take the time to check.