Thursday, October 25, 2007

Explanation and Exhilaration

Explanation:
Carter is my grandson. My oldest daughter and her husband adopted him in April, however, adoptions are not final until six months later when you have to appear in court and have the judge rule. Monday was their court date and now he's all ours, as in no one can take him away from our family. He will be all ours forever in December when he is sealed to his parents. They are waiting so that my parents, Carter's great grandparents, can come out for it.


Exhilaration:
I just finished a killer of a Halloween story! I love it. I love it because it sort of creeped me out. I love it because it's a complete work. I love it because it's MINE.

It started out as part of an assignment for my writing class where we had to free associate a cluster chart and then write something from it. I didn't intend to go macabre but I have had in the back of my mind the last few days the desire to write something more for the contest over on LDS Publisher. I've already submitted a piece, but I decided I could do better. So I guess my cluster chart was influenced by that intent and a Halloween story was born. The first two paragraphs won't get me anywhere in the contest because they aren't particularly spooky. But.

I'm going to let the story rest for a day or two before I polish it and then I'll post it here on Halloween. Hope you'll all come back and read it. I would be very interested to see if the images I have in my mind are anything close to the ones a reader will get from my words.

5 comments:

G. Parker said...

That's so cool! My sister just blessed her little girl from China and we're waiting for news of the sealing. It's such a special time.

Kenna said...

So, like, how again are these two subjects related?

Candace Salima (LDS Nora Roberts) said...

Good luck gettin' scary!

Karlene said...

Well, duh, McKenna. They both start with the letter E. Haven't you been watching Sesame Street lately?

Tristi Pinkston said...

Thanks for the explanation. And congratulation on the exhilaration!