Wednesday, October 10, 2007

It's good to be home

For anyone who doesn't know, I've just returned from a three week "working" vacation in Kentucky. I went there to 1) help my parents pack up their house and prepare to move into a much smaller home; 2) lay claim to some of the items my parents were giving away; 3) do some Urban Botanic workshops for my long-distance customers. Mission accomplished on all three fronts.

My husband flew out that last week and we drove a Budget Rental Truck home--that's 2,000+ miles through seven different states. On the way, we stopped by to visit his sisters. I had intended to take lots of pictures and post them each day so you could journey with me but my digital camera still isn't working. (To donate to the "Buy Karlene a New Digital Camera" fund, click here.)

Three weeks is a long time when you have a grandbaby. Carter learned to sit up while I was gone. When I went to see him, he gave me the I-guess-you're-not-dangerous-but-I-really-don't- know-who-you-are look. I could barely get a giggle out of him. But that's okay. I'm determined to win him over.

And my other grandbaby? He's growing even faster. Only 5 1/2 weeks and I get to goo-goo at him.

I missed my kids too. Can I just tell you how grateful I am that I live in the age of e-mail, cell phones and text messaging? How did people do this 100 years ago? The only way I survived missing them is because I talked to/texted them nearly every day and they kept me posted on the important things in their lives, like the streaker at Megan's Homecoming pageant, and Melanie's itchy, schizo pregnancy rash, and the effects of snow on Christopher's work schedule, and the never-ending saga of McKenna's soon-to-be-finished basement. I like being in the loop on those things.

Although traveling across the country is pretty amazing, I'm glad to be back home to my simple, boring life--even if it does mean dealing with a mountain of snail mail.

6 comments:

Josi said...

3 weeks of mail, oy! I hope you got some good stuff :-) We missed you.

Sandra said...

Glad you are back safe and sound. I saw you at the stop light by Smith's yesterday on my way home from work and headed out to a kid thing.

Karlene said...

Gee, Sandra, I hope I wasn't picking my nose or anything embarassing.

Thanks, Josi. I can't believe I didn't post for two weeks. The time sure flew by.

Tristi Pinkston said...

Welcome back!

Annette Lyon said...

So that's where you were! I was wondering. Welcome home.

Suan said...

it's great to have you home. thanks for all the stuff you brought me back (i think)....what's playing on your ipod? back home again by john denver?? i refuse to let you drop your signature line...