I don't know how this one will materialize, but somehow, I will intend a new digital camera into my life by January 15, 2008. I'm thinking Black Friday. I want to have a camera (or two) picked out so if it goes on sale somewhere the day after Thanksgiving, I'll know which line to go stand in. (A new camera is the only thing that will get me to stand in one of those Black Friday lines.)
While I would love an SLR, I'll probably go for a point and shoot with extra goodies. My eyes are not quite good enough to focus an SLR anymore.
Right now, I'm leaning toward this one. Possibly. The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W55—which also comes in black, blue or pink.
It has killer specifications. Much better than the minimums I've listed below. Anyone have it? Do you like it? Please tell me the pros and cons of this model in the comments section.
I'm willing to consider other models. These are some of the minimum specifications I
- 4+ Megapixels—I do a lot of cropping and resizing.
- Big LCD—I have a vision problem, so the bigger the better. (The one above has a 2.5" LCD)
- Fast shots—1 second or less from the time you push the button until the shot is taken. This is important when you're photographing grandchildren and sports events.
- Optical zoom—minimum 3X, but 10X would be nice.
- Scene modes—action, portrait, snow, inside, low light, etc.
- Long battery life—alkaline would be nice, but rechargeable is okay; as long as it lasts for more than 15 minutes.
- Video—Won't use this as much as I will the photos, but I need some way to catch those grandkid giggles.
- Memory card—256 MB minimum.
- Color—color, black & white, sepia; intense would be nice too.
- Manual setting options—this lets me pretend I have an SLR
If you have a digital camera you love that meets all or most of these specs, please tell me what you have and what you love about it.
As a thank you for helping me out here, when I pick the model and make the purchase (before January 15th), I will put everyone's name who suggested that model into a hat and draw out a winner! What will the prize be? A UB Home Collection with three oils of your choice ($50 value).
Leave your comment by November 21, 2007 to be entered in the contest!
(*Winners must be within the US or be willing to help pay for shipping.)
Now playing on my iPod: Kodachrome by Paul Simon