Sunday, November 18, 2007

Found: Two Childhood Favorites

Been doing some online Christmas shopping. I was browsing Overstock.com. I like them because they have a flat rate $2.95 shipping charge, no matter what you order. I did comparison shopping and even though I could find some of the items I wanted for less money, by the time you add on the shipping charges, I saved lotsa money at Overstock.

While I was browsing through the book section at Overstock, I found two old favorites that I thought were out of print. These two books are ones I loved as a child and read them over and over. I wanted to share them with my own children but have been unable to find them.



Swimmy by Leo Leoni
is the story of a little black fish whose friends are all eaten by a big tuna. As he searches the ocean for a new place, he finally meets a school of red fish. They aren't too friendly at first, until Swimmy uses his incredible imagination to save himself and his new friends from the bigger fish.












Fortunately by Remy Charlip
is the wacky adventure of Ned's attempt to get to a party. It starts with, "Fortunately, Ned was invited to a surprise party. Unfortunately, the party was a thousand miles away..." and continues with the fortunately/unfortunately pattern until he finally arrives at the party.








Now, if only I could find Know What? No, What? —another book that I really, really loved as a child. I don't even know the author/illustrator of that one. The story is a conversation between two friends, with one asking, "Know what?" and the other answering, "No, what?" Then the next page would be some silly ridiculous story—like a fairy on their shoulder, or something about cows in the barn... I can't remember except that I loved it.

Anybody know where I could find that one?

Now playing on my iPod: Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy on a glass armonica (this is amazing!)

2 comments:

Kenna said...

I remember reading these at Grandma's House! How come you didn't get them when they moved?

Karlene said...

Unfortunately, my siblings don't ascribe to the Chinese form of inheritance, where the eldest child gets everything and then parcels it out to the others.

And we could only find the covers of Swimmy.