Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The grandbaby has landed

I was just about to sit down and write my NaBloPoMo post yesterday (and it was going to be a spectacular one, I'm sure) when I got THE PHONE CALL.

I rushed off to the hospital to be with my daughter during labor. They have some really cool things now that weren't available when I was having babies. Like a ginormous room that was combo labor, delivery and after care room, with a comfortable fold out couch and sleeper chair for dad and/or visitors.

They had videos, food and drinks for Momma and Dad in an easy accessible, serve-yourself room. Not that Momma was eating anything more than ice chips, but still.

The best new invention, however, was the drugs-on-demand pump. They gave her a big dose of epidural then she had a button she could push to deliver more whenever she wanted it. This would have been a perfect situation—IF THE ANESTHETIST HAD REMEMBERED TO PRESS THE START BUTTON! But other than the two hours between when her epidural wore off and they finally figured out what the problem was and remedied it, she did great.

Baby was born November 21 at 3:49 a.m. 7 lbs 10 oz, 20 ins.

Grandpa Jim asked how hard the whole experience had been. Momma said, "Not as bad as everyone said it would be..."

Hope she's still feeling that way today.


Now playing on my iPod:
Miracle by Celine Dion
(I felt this way about each of my babies. I know Melanie feels it too.)

10 comments:

Sandra said...

I love the epidural on demand. I had it with Jessica. Not all anethesioligists use it, so I only had it with her. I loved, loved, loved it. I was in more control and didn't need as much medication as with the others.

Isn't he just the sweetest baby in the world? A present for the holiday without them ;) And Melanie is just beautiful.

Erika said...

Yay!!! I've been checking your blog EVERY day...sometimes twice. I'm so excited he's here and I can't wait to hear more and see more pictures. Congratulations, giving birth is such an amazing experience.

Tristi Pinkston said...

Awesome! I'm so glad he's here and that everything went well.

What's his name?

pussreboots said...

Aww. Congratulations.

Candace Salima (LDS Nora Roberts) said...

Congratulations, Grandma! Very beautiful baby.

Josi said...

That's awesome, Karlene. Congrats to you and the new mama. What an amazing experience birth is! BTW--I got the Hope for Tomorrow lotion and I'm loving it. I'll blog about it later this week. Thanks so much.

Marcia Mickelson said...

Cute Baby! Congratulations.

Annette Lyon said...

Congrats, Grandma! And ditto what Josi said (on all counts--lovin that lotion).

Tristi Pinkston said...

You realize we will want updated pictures soon, right?

Jen said...

Congrats!