Sunday, November 11, 2007

When the family gets together


My family is in transition. We're moving from the nuclear family of parents with children into the extended family phase, with grandchildren and in-laws. The upside is there are more people to love. The downside is trying to schedule times when all of us can get together.

We do a family dinner once a month where we celebrate all the birthdays of that month. Most of the time, all of us are able to be there. Sometimes a few of us are missing due to illness or work or in-law commitments. It always makes me sad when some of us can't make it because I'm basically selfish and I don't like to share my children with anyone.

I know that it's unrealistic of me to hope that my children will all continue to live within a 15 mile radius of me, as they do now. I moved 2,000 miles away from my parents and only get to participate in family dinner every couple of years. Even then, it's not the entire family. I can't remember when the last time all my siblings were in the same place at the same time. The left side of my brain knows that at some point, I'll be looking at the same thing—having my family spread out and doing our dinners piecemeal. But the right side of my brain keeps believing in the fantasy that they'll stick close by. For now, I'm very grateful that we can all still get together most of the time.

Tristi asked about my daughter. Yes, that ticker is still ticking. We've got to get that baby out of there soon or her poor feet are going to explode. She had one contraction after dinner tonight, so I've got my fingers crossed and am sleeping with my cell phone.

Now playing on my iPod: We Are Family by Sister Sledge

2 comments:

Suan said...

i miss when all of us were able to get together for family gatherings.
at the time, of course, it was lame but i really miss it. the last time we were all together was for a funeral :( the memories of the good ole times will forever remain with me :) you are making memories...enjoy while you can.

Candace Salima (LDS Nora Roberts) said...

I love family gatherings too. My family is scattered across the U.S. so we try to have a major family reunion every other year and spend four days just wallowing in each others' company.

Baby yet?