Sunday, December 02, 2007

#10 Favorite Christmas Movie: Eloise at Christmastime

Inspired by by Kay Thompson's book, Eloise at Christmastime is a delightful movie about six year old Eloise (Sofia Vassilieva) who lives in New York's Plaza Hotel with Nanny (Julie Andrews). While her mother is away on a trip, Eloise celebrates the holidays by creating havoc in the hotel and frustrating the staff trying to keep her under control.

Eloise causes all kinds of trouble as she plays matchmaker for one of the hotel waiters. She also creates one disaster after another as she "helps" prepare for a Christmas Eve wedding. In the end, however, she pulls everything off, buys thoughtful gifts for the entire hotel staff, and helps a neighbor save her home.

The one issue I have with this movie, and the reason it's not higher on my list, is that Eloise uses the Lord's name as an expletive several times during the movie. That really annoys me. I just don't understand why Disney, of all companies, would allow that in a children's movie.

Other than that one thing, this movie is completely delightful. I love it and I watch it every year when it comes on TV.

Now playing on my iPod: Santa Claus is Coming to Town by Mariah Carey

2 comments:

Tristi Pinkston said...

Oh, I hate that too! And that it's scripted in -- maybe these child actors never swore before, but now they're being paid to do it, and picking up a nasty lifetime habit to boot.

Anonymous said...

The problem is that in the books Eloise says that too.