Wednesday, December 19, 2007

#2 Favorite Christmas Picture Book: How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss


The Grinch stole two of the second place spots on my Christmas list?!? Well, yes. You got a problem with that?

When my children were small, their father started a tradition of reading the How the Grinch Stole Christmas every year at the family Christmas party. The family is grown now, and I'm no longer married to their father, but the tradition still carries on in its own way.

I read the story out loud every year, even if the kids aren't there to hear it. I have an old beaten up copy where McKenna (now 26) embellished the illustrations with her own unique style and circled "key" passages. (I'm not certain what her criteria was, but it makes that copy of the book priceless!)

Last night my daughters were talking about how fondly they remembered the story. They wanted their children to hear it every year. That's one of the reasons for Christmas—passing down beloved and cherished memories and traditions.

Now playing on my iPod: You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch

2 comments:

Suan said...

this is my favorite christmas book
can't believe it's #2 on your list
can't wait to see what awesome book beat out the grinch

selmainthecity said...

I love it too. Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without the Grinch!