Monday, December 17, 2007

#3 Favorite Christmas Movie: A Christmas Story


A Christmas Story is so funny—tongues sticking to flag poles, the dog and the turkey, the pink bunny pajamas—even though I know exactly what's coming, I still bust a gut every time I watch this movie. I probably don't need to post a description. Is there anyone who hasn't seen it at least once? But on the off chance that someone has been living under a rock for the past 20+ years, here it is.

Promo info: It's 1940, in northern Indiana. 9-year-old "Ralphie" Parker wants only one thing for Christmas -- an official Red Ryder carbine-action 200-shot range model BB rifle with a compass in the stock. Between his younger brother Randy and having to handle school bully Scut Farkus, Ralphie doesn't know how he'll ever survive long enough to get the BB gun for Christmas. When Ralph asks his mother for a Red Ryder BB gun for Christmas, she says, "No, you'll shoot your eye out". When Mrs. Shields, Ralph's teacher at Harding Elementary School, assigns the class to write a theme about what they want for Christmas, Ralph sees a golden opportunity to express his desire to have a Red Ryder BB gun. Ralph gets a C+ on the theme, and Mrs. Shields has written "You'll shoot your eye out" on the theme. Ralph's next plan is to ask Santa Claus for a Red Ryder BB gun, and how does Santa respond? By saying "You'll shoot your eye out, kid." By this time, Ralph has had enough of that. When Ralphie beats up the school bully, he thinks he'll never get the BB gun for Christmas now. But someone may have planned a surprise for Ralph.

Now playing on my iPod: Jingle Bell Rock performed by Hall and Oates
(I used to think these guys were soooo cool. But now... If you listen closely, you can hear the sound of my world shattering. I wonder if their children mock them.)

4 comments:

Leslie said...

We LOVE that movie! It's a yearly tradition.

Sandra said...

Ok, I am the person living under a rock. I have never watched this movie, I have seen parts of it, but I have never sat down and watched it in it's entirity. Maybe I'll do that this year.
Then again, maybe not. We'll see.

Luisa Perkins said...

I so love that movie. I laugh every time.

Jen said...

SUCH a great movie.