Friday, December 14, 2007

#5 Favorite Christmas Movie: A Christmas Carol

Yes, this is Dickens' timeless classic of greed and redemption. It is a great story that reminds us all to be kind to those less fortunate, especially at Christmas. It does get a little creepy in places. Have you ever wondered where the phrase, "it scared the dickens out of me" came from? Coulda' been this story. Marley's ghost can be really spooky, Ignorance and Want kind of creep me out, and the ghost of Christmas Future, when done right, gives me nightmares. Still, it's one of my favorites.


If I'm in a serious mood, I like the TNT version (2000) of A Christmas Carol starring Captain Jon Luc Picard, er, uhm, what's his name?, Patrick Stewart. (I have such a crush on Picard that it carries over into other roles this actor plays. I'm just lucky that Stewart really is a good actor or I'd be stuck watching drivel.) I like the way Stewart plays the character of Scrooge. He's not your typical caricature of a grumpy old man. Stewart brings something special to the role and you really feel for Scrooge. IMHO, this version is hands down the best one.* (Yes, even better than George C. Scott.)











If I'm in a lighter mood, I go for the Muppet version. Okay, I know it's silly and yes, stupid, even. But still, I like it and I'm not ashamed to say so. Also, I pretty much just like listening to and watching Michael Caine. And really, Kermit? He deserves an Oscar. Okay, maybe not. But this is just a great feel good movie that leaves you feeling...well, good.



One more variation of this classic that I really liked but can't recommend was Scrooged starring Bill Murray. If you can find an edited version, watch it. It's really good. Unedited, it just has too many embarassing scenes. But I loved the message and the acting was pretty good.

*(The only time I've ever seen it done better was live at the Hale Center Theater in Orem UT, performed by Nathan Hale. I caught his last performance of this classic before he passed away.)

Now playing on my iPod: Scrooge from the Muppet Christmas Carol

No comments: