Monday, December 17, 2007

My Winter Reading Challenge Book List


The Summer Reading Thing 2007 really helped jump start me back into reading regularly. As someone who used to read well over 100 books a year, I'd dropped down to only one or two non-work-related books. That was just depressing.

Getting back into reading for fun, however, was ...well, fun! I continued with the Fall Into Reading (which ends this Friday) over on Katrina's site, although I've been very neglectful of posting actual reviews.

I like to read a minimum of one book a week so I'm going to put 12 books on my list. You'll notice that not all 12 spots are filled right now. That's because I know I'm going to get some books for Christmas and I want to leave space for them. :)

As always, this list is subject to change at the slightest whim.

**I decided to read all of the Whitney Finalists, which means that I need to read a bunch books before the end of this challenge. Yikes! (Some of them I read before this challenge started. They are not on this list.)**

1. Secrets in Zarahemla by Sariah S. Wilson (4)
2. Invasive Procedures by Orson Scott Card & Aaron Johnston (3)
3. How to Have More Than Enough by Dave Ramsey didn't get to but too lazy to renumber everything.
4. Armageddon's Children by Terry Brooks (4.5)
5. Sunshine by Robin McKinley (too sexy)
6. On the Road to Heaven by Coke Newell (3)
7. Beyond the Horizon by Judy C. Olsen (4)
8. The Deep End by Traci Abramson (4)
9. Hunting Gideon by Jessica Draper (3)
10. Alcatraz vs the Evil Librarian by Brandon Sorenson (4)
11. Bullies in the Headlights by Matthew Buckley (3)
12. First Day by Allyson Condie (2)
13. Lights of Mahonri Moriancumer by Phyllis Gunderson (1)
14. The Operative by William Boyd Gardner (3)
15. Book of 1,000 Days by Shannon Hale (4)
16. Desire of Our Hearts by Sariah S. Wilson (4.5)
17. Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George (4.5)
18. Grave Secrets by Marlene Austin (3.5)
19. Hazardous Duty by Betsy Brannon Green (4)
20. How to Take the Ex Out of Ex Boyfriend by Janette Rallison (4)
21. The Independence Club by Rachel Nunes (3)
22. Loyalty's Web by Joyce DiPastena (3)
23. Rise of the Evening Star by Brandon Mull (4.5)
24. Upon the Mountains by Gale Sears (2)
25. Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson (3)
26. Wet Desert by Gary Hansen (2)
27. Unsung Lullabye by Josi Kilpack (4)


Sometimes it takes me a bit to get around to writing a review. In the meantime, here's a quick rating system:

0 = HATED. Could not even finish it. (These books I don't bother to put on the list here.)
1 = Didn't like. Cannot recommend to other.
2 = Didn't like—but other people might.
3 = Ambivalent. Liked some things about it; not others. Probably won't read again.
4 = Liked. May read again sometime.
5 = Loved! Own or want to own; will read again and again.

3 comments:

Sariah S. Wilson said...

Woo-hoo! I made the winter reading list! You'll have to let me know what you think. :)

Janette Rallison said...

What a great list. I have a lot of these.

Veggiemomof2 said...

I like this rating system! I'm going to use it too now!