Monday, December 31, 2007

Resolution Solution


I hate New Year's Resolutions. I hate the whole idea of them. I think some sado-masochistic demon from heck thought up that idea, wrapped it up in a pretty package, and we all fell for it. Because we're stupid.

Resolutions have failure built into them from the very beginning. Think about it. What goes on these lists? Not things that we feel we have a reasonable chance of accomplishing. No, our lists are made up of all the things we have been struggling with for a long time. And, trust me, if you could make whatever change in your life you're putting on that list, you already would have made it. And you wouldn't need a holiday to motivate you either. The items on your list are there because you can't do them. At least, not yet. So in a day, or a week, or a month, or however long it takes to whip your behind, you'll look at this list and see failure. Again.

Sorry. I don't need my failures pointed out to me. I'm very well aware of them already, thank you very much. And you are, too.

So. This is what I do instead. I get a piece of paper and title it 2008 Resolutions. That's all I put on the paper. Then every week or month, I pull it out and think about what I've done recently that has made a change in my life—and I write it on the list. After I've made the change.

Guaranteed success.

And at the end of the year, I feel a whole lot better about myself and my life when I look at that list then I ever felt looking at my list of failures.

You may be thinking, "How does that help you make changes, commit to new habits, if you only record them after the fact?"

Well, which list do you think is going to inspire me to try something new? To step forward with confidence and enthusiasm? And which list is going to make me go back to bed with a box of chocolates and stay there for a week?

9 comments:

Sandra said...

I was going to write post similar to this one. I think I might still do it. I totally agree with you on this point. And I like your idea of making a list of things that insipre you instead.

Jen said...

I blogged last week about finding
resolution in our lives instead of listing resolutions. Looks like I'm in the same camp as you!

Tristi Pinkston said...

Excellent point!

Julie Wright said...

Karlene, you have once again proven your brilliance. (Your comment in Josi's tooth fairy blog had already determined just how clever you are, but this cements it into the walk of fame. I love it.

Avery Gray said...

This is a great idea! I did something a little differently. I made a list of things I HOPE to fail at this year. That way if I do fail, it's actually a good thing. (Gain weight is the first thing on my list.)

sogratefultobemormon.wordpress.com said...

funny girl :)

Suan said...

i love your list idea.. i think i will give it a try :)

Deborah said...

Excellent post - this really made me smile. I work towards goals instead of making resolutions. I feel more like I'm working off of a "to-do" list than a list of things I can't get done...

Deborah
www.therhythmofwrite.com

Shellie said...

I like that idea! I never set goals at New Years, I just spend all year trying to figure out what goals I want to set. :) But a list of accomplishments, that I would like to have!