Tuesday, January 08, 2008

My puppy is having surgery today

I've never really thought of myself as an animal person. They're fun for about 5 minutes, and then I'm done and ready to move on. I'm not much of a people person either. Most people think I'm fun for about 5 minutes, then they move on.

However, I am an I-love-my-children person. And they like animals. So over the years we've had rodents, cats, dogs, fish. Currently, we have three cats and a dog leftover from when I went nuts and let my kids get a bunch of pets so they could learn to be responsible.

Ha! My husband feeds them. I get them their yearly shots. My husband bathes them. I tell him when they stink. My husband plays WWF with the dog. I use him to clean my kitchen floor. You get the picture.

When I took the dog in for his yearly exam and shots, I asked the vet to take a look at a couple of bumps he had—one on his chest, one on his leg. The chest was a fatty tumor. Nothing to worry about. The one on his leg is a fast-growing basal cell tumor. It's already so big they may have to do a skin graft. And it's going to cost us $800.

We don't have $800 but what are we going to do? If we don't get him the surgery, pretty soon he'll be walking around with a cantaloupe attached to his leg and we could end up on Animal Precinct.

Besides, I need that dog to stick around. He is the only thing that keeps my feet warm in the winter time.


Lucky—this morning right before we left for the vet.

10 comments:

Sandra said...

Ahh, Lucky. You looked good this morning. Do you need me to bring you a doggy bone? Feel better soon.

Tristi Pinkston said...

Good luck, puppy!

Summer said...

Poor little pup! :(

$800 is a LOT! That reminded me of why we're waiting till we're out of school to get a pet.

Kenna said...

aw, he's never looked so cute.

Suan said...

i forgot what a beautiful dog lucky is. i don't think i even saw him at christmas when we were there. i hope all goes well. remember he is "lucky". keep me posted :)

Candace E. Salima said...

Ah, Lucky's a beautiful dog. I hope everything went well with the surgery. I am a dog person . . . and I can't wait until we can have one again. I'm just trying to figure out how to deal with the hair problem. My sister's dog, Sweetie, is the one who got me on that tear.

Jen said...

I used to say I would never pay for surgery for an animal, until I got a dog worth paying for surgery for! I hope it went great.

sogratefultobemormon.wordpress.com said...

blessing and prayers for your little lucky. i love love love our doggies and eagerly admit it. hairy pets bring such joy to my/our life. good luck hon, kathleen

Julie Wright said...

awwww look how cute he is! I hope everything went okay.

Josi said...

This is why I don't like pets either, they tear me up when something goes wrong. Chickens, however, are totally different, easily replaced and difficult to bond to individually. I hope all is well and I"m sorry.