Friday, June 06, 2008

North or South Contest—CONTEST CLOSED


We'll all be planning out a route
We're gonna take real soon
We're packing up our suitcase
We can't wait for June (9th)
We'll all be gone for the summer
We're on safari to stay
Tell the neighbors we're truckin'
Truckin' U.S.A.



Okay, then. There are two basic routes we could take on our Summer Roadtrip Extravaganza and we can't decide which one. Distance doesn't play a factor in route choice because there's only six miles difference.

We're going to take our time and do the trip over five days. That will give us time to see a few sights, if they're near the freeway. Or catch a couple of movies. Or maybe meet a few of you along the way.

Here are our options.

We could go NORTH traveling through Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah. (This is the trip Jim and I made last fall.)


View Larger Map


OR

We could go SOUTH through Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Utah.


View Larger Map

Both routes are the same to Kansas City, then they split off. I have no idea which is the easier terrain.

So what do you think? Which route should we take?

In your comment, tell us North or South and WHY. Also, suggest places to visit along the way.

We'll pick the route based upon how fun and interesting you make it seem, so don't hold back. Give us some good reasons to pick your route.

Prizes:
  1. Everyone who suggested the route we pick gets an entry in a drawing for some as yet unselected souvenir we pick up along the way.

  2. If we stop at your suggestion, you earn an entry for another as yet unselected souvenir we pick up along the way.
Make your comment by midnight on Saturday, June 7th.


Now playing on my iPod: Surfin' USA by the Beach Boys

6 comments:

Josi said...

North--here's why...

If I'm reading your map right you'll be close enough to the Black Hills to go to Mt. Rushmore. If you haven't been there before, you ought to, it's super fun. You could also do Crazy Horse light show if you're there at night and want to spend the $$ to get in (it's kinda pricy) Then you'll also pass by Martin's Cove, which would give you some religion during your wild road trip, and then when you come through northern Utah, you can meet me for lunch at Maddox--best steakhouse ever! this is assuming you'll be coming through northern Utah before the 18th and during the day. You're also welcome to stay at my house overnight if you need to, we've got room

:-)

Sandra said...

You are on a roll lately!
Let's see, since I have never been in that area I don't know which would be best, but I am going to vote North with Josi because I want you to take some pictures of Mt. Rushmore for me. I would hit as many church history sites as I could, as well.

I would offer you a room at my house as well, but I think it just might be easier for you to drive the 2 blocks and sleep in your own bed.

Natasha Ireland said...

NORTH-
Your friend Josi's suggestions are great! I LOVED MT. Rushmore as a kid but know I'd love it even more now. Here are a few other suggestions of things to do:
1. YOU MUST SEE THE GATEWAY ARCH IN ST. Louis. It's over 630 feet above the Mississippi (You can even ride to the top)
2. Visit the Cathedral Badsilica of St. Louis www.cathedralstl.org
When I lived in Kansas City for the summer I was so excited to be so close (or relatively) to the following sites:
3. Independence church sites
(Also the FLDS Temple that looks like a giant ICE CREAM cone is there and you can tour it...very interesting to do)
4. Liberty Jail
5. Carthage Jail
6. Nauvoo
7. Mormon Pioneer Cemetary
3301 State Street
Omaha, NE 68112
402 453 9372
Open Hours
9a-9p
Overview
Landmarks and monuments pay tribute to the religious pioneers who traveled the 1,300 miles of the Mormon Trail.
8. Lincoln- The National Museum of Roller Skating- HEY WHY NOT?
and last but not least
9. CAR HENGE (is in Alliance, NE) if you can make it that way, it's a must see. HAHA I have been and well- it's a site. You can google Car Henge to check it out.
GOOD LUCK. Happy PLANNING

megan said...

WOW. All these places sound awesome! I think it's unanimously North. What do you think, Mom?

Annette Lyon said...

Isn't Mt. Rushmore in South Dakota? That would be a bit of a detour. Hmm.

I'm voting for South--not to be contrary, but because driving through Nebraska (which I've done) is so painfully boring. Surely the scenery HAS to be prettier the other way!

Looks like either way, you can see the Missouri Church sites.

Jennifer Leffler said...

I live in Lincoln, NE and have driven from there to California a bunch of times thus passing through Utah. If driving for scenery the southern route would be my choice. Driving across Nebraska is BORING. One time my dh calculated he drove 11 mile without turning the stearing wheel at all. There are sights to see though: the Winter Quaters Temple and Mormon Trail visitors center are right next to the above mentioned cemetary. Somewhere around North Platte is a cool bridge/visitors center over the freeway. And any time I could I would stop at Maddox's in Perry, UT, they do have the best steaks anywhere.