Monday, March 17, 2008

Good News, Bad News

I was so proud of myself on Friday. I ran some errands. It was the first time I'd gone out into the real world for something other than a doctor's appointment. I could feel all my skin cells shift into overdrive absorbing the sunshine and converting it to vitamin D. Ahhh.

First, I went to the bank (yea! my checks won't bounce).

Then I went to the post office (sorry, Suan, haven't shipped your cookies yet).

Then I treated myself to a Gandolfo's Radio City with cheddar cheese. I thought that was an appropriate reward for still being alive.

After that, I went to the bookstore to get Stephanie Black's new book. I was a little surprised when it came to $64. However, upon inspecting my bag, I discovered six other books had jumped in there with it. (thanks Mom & Dad--that was the last of my Christmas money).

Last, I went to the grocery store to get a few things. As I drove home, I was feeling really proud of the way I'd paid attention to my energy level and not pushed too hard—until I realized I didn't leave myself quite enough to get the groceries into the house and put away. Fortunately, Megan drove up at the same time I did and she took care of the groceries while I took a nap.

That's the good news. The bad news is after resting all weekend (as the doctor suggested when I had a recheck on Thursday), I woke up this morning with . . . wait for it . . . sore throat, headache, itchy ears, and the snot factory powering up again.

This is really getting ridiculous. I'm going in to see the doctor again in about an hour and I'm telling him he's got to fix me because I'm going to the writer's conference this weekend even if I have to go in a wheelchair with a portable IV! (Grrrr!)

On the upside, if I do have to spend most of this week in bed again, I have a whole stack of books to read.

Now playing on my iPod: Can't Seem to Get it Right Today by Joe Purdy

5 comments:

Sandra said...

Durn it all anyway! That is the way it has been at our house. I missed church again yesterday because Brandi woke up with it again, but today seems fine.

Kenna said...

You just made us both LOL. Sounds like "someone" needs to consult with my wise sage advisor.

G. Parker said...

Oh man! I tell ya, it just cycles around. Take lots of Vitamin C!! grin. I wish I were going to the conference...

Tristi Pinkston said...

Karlene, you are really going to like Stephanie's book. I finished it last night.

Another really good one is "Traitor" by Sandra Grey. Fabulous LDS historical fiction. I've already nominated it for a Whitney next year.

Annette Lyon said...

Sheesh, woman! It's like your immune system just decided to go on vacation. Hope you're all better and feeling great for the conference.