Monday, March 24, 2008

My Winter Reading Wrap-Up



Time for my Winter Reading Challenge Wrap-Up. I ended up reading 26 books. (See list here.) Unfortunately, I did a horrible job of reviewing them. I might try to go back and review a few of my favorites, if I get time. But I'm on to the Spring Challenge and it might just be best to stay on top of that one. (Sorry.)



Which book I liked best: Tough question because there were several books on my list that scored a 4 (which is pretty good for me). There were 4 books that scored a 4.5 and so I'll list them here in order of preference:

Armegeddon's Children by Terry Brooks

Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George

Rise of the Evening Star by Brandon Mull

Desire of Our Hearts by Sariah S. Wilson

You'll notice that three are speculative. If left to myself, that's probably the only genre I'd ever read. But I've been trying to stretch, especially in the area of LDS fiction. One shocker for those who know me well—Desire of Our Hearts is technically a romance. All I can say is, it was good and the girl was tough; very little sighing and heart palpitations. :)


Which I liked least: There were three books on my list that only scored a 2. One was just too romancy; the other two I couldn't get into.


New authors I tried: I tried quite a few new authors due to my reading for the Whitney Awards. This is the list of new authors who I plan to read more of (** means I am drooling for their next book).
What (if anything) did I learn from participating in this challenge: I learned that while I read more when I'm sick, it's really hard to write up reviews. Also, this reinforced once again how much I love to read and that I read more when I've got a challenge for an incentive.

Therefore, I am immediately starting Katrina's Spring Reading Challenge. I will post my list tomorrow. (Hope all of you will join me for that.)

1 comment:

Janette Rallison said...

Glad to hear you're drooling for my new book--that's the way I like readers to be! (Just don't get the pages wet . . .)