Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Leaving Home

There are some really cool things about Kentucky.

First off, Lexington is where I grew up and a slew of relatives still live there, including my parents, who I miss very much. I've been very lucky to be able to go back there more often the past couple of years.


Kentucky Horse Farm - Fall

It's gorgeous in autumn. The leaves burst into color, the air is crisp and clean. Aaaaah.




It's got Cumberland Falls, the only place in the Western Hemisphere where you can see a moonbow. Is that cool, or what?




There's also a nearby castle in Versailles, KY that has been in various stages of construction and destruction for a good portion of my life. As the story goes, a man started building it for his wife about 25 years ago but they divorced before it was finished. It just sat there for a long time. Not too long ago, he sold the castle, it's been finished as a bed and breakfast and an events center. It's not too pricey, only $1,000 a night.


Then there are the horses, Kentucky bluegrass, Natural Bridge, Fort Boonesborough (established by Daniel Boone), Shaker Village. All of these places, and many, many more bring back wonderful memories from my childhood.

With all that, you might wonder why I don't move back there.

Three reasons:

  1. The weather—The summer can get so hot. And it's not the kind of hot where you bake away to a dried up twig and then blow away. It's the kind of hot where you melt into a dripping puddle. Believe me, there is not an anti-perspirant that is up to the challenge of a Kentucky summer. It is so swelteringly humid that you feel like you're breathing underwater.

  2. The weather—In the winter, the humidity causes everything to freeze solid. The icy wind cuts right through your clothes, no matter how many layers you're wearing. Your breath freezes in the air and your nostrils freeze shut. It would be funny if it wasn't so miserable.

  3. The weather—In the spring, there are tornadoes and thunder storms like you wouldn't believe. They don't really scare me. As a teenager, my boyfriend used to load his truck down with sandbags and we'd go looking for funnel clouds. However, I have arthritis. I've had it since I was a sixteen. From March through June, I would ache like the dickens.

Oh. And then there are the cicadas.
Have you ever seen anything uglier? Every 17 years, they go crazy. They swoop out of the trees and pull your hair. And they are so loud you can hardly hear yourself think. Lucky me, this is the 17th year.

This morning, despite the thunderstorm the night before and the noisy cicadas, it was with a sad heart that we drove away, waving goodbye to my hometown and all the memories it holds. But the good news is, I get to come back again with my sister and her daughter for a longer visit in August.


Now playing on my iPod: Take Me Home, Country Roads by John Denver (just substitute KY for VA)


5 comments:

Natasha Ireland said...

Oooh my gosh. Did you take that pic of the trees and horses? IT's GORGEOUS. I wanna be there right now. and ps. I am shivering with "bug chills" that IS SO UGLY. Blah!

Karlene said...

No, I didn't take the horse photo. My skillz are not that amazing. I stole it from somewhere.

Summer said...

We had our infestation of 17 year cicadas a couple years ago. You couldn't walk on the sidewalk without crunching on them there were so many. And they were dive bombing my head every time I went outside. It was so gross!

Suan said...

so, will the cicadas be gone when we go in august (i hope so). the pictures make me homesick... i am so looking forward to august... i'm glad you get to go with us :)

Sandra said...

I have never heard of a moonbow.

We also have cicada in New Mexico. I don't miss the noise they make. It is incredible and they are so annoying and gross.