Thursday, September 18, 2008

I Hate Seagull Book!

So I have this problem. When I'm feeling stressed, I need to treat myself. In my town, there is a Seagull Book and a Wal-Mart right across the street from each other. As I head for a treat, I have to make a choice. I can turn right to Wal-Mart and get Nouggies. Or I can turn left to Seagull and get myself a book. Wal-Mart and the Nouggies usually win because 1) they're cheaper, and 2) chocolate gets into my blood stream and changes my mood faster than a book does.

But today, I was feeling guilty because my Wii Fit says I'm up 2.2 lbs this week and I know it's because I've been eating way too many nouggies. So I turned left.

Never mind that I can't afford a new book and I should spend that $15 on paying down business debt.

Never mind that I already have 40 books on my dresser waiting their turn to be read.

Never mind that I don't have time to read right now.

I was going to get myself a new book, gosh darn it!

But I would be responsible in my irresponsibility—I would limit myself to just one.

Then I walked into Seagull and the stress level just exploded because now I had to make a choice. There were all these books that I wanted to read and they were just sitting on the Seagull shelves, mocking me with their bright yellow percent off labels.

Which one do I get?


Do I go for David Woolley's new book, Day of Remembrance? (He won't let Sandra loan it to me, the brat.) I already own volumes 1 & 2. They're sitting on my dresser waiting to be read. And volume 3 is on sale too, but it's in paperback and all my other volumes would be hardback. Hmmmn. . .





Or do I get The Nephite Who Loved Me (currently mistitled as Servant to a King) by Sariah Wilson? I really liked her first two books, Secrets in Zarahemla and Desires of Our Hearts, even if they do have a larger dollop of romance than I'll admit to liking. I forgive her because her heroines are feisty and don't put up with anything, even if they are married to prophets.



Do I get Farworld by J. Scott Savage, which I've already read? (Thanks for the ARC, J. Scott.) I really want the hardback copy with the map and illustrations in it because I want it to be available to my grandchildren (now ages 2, 1 & 10 mos.). But if I get a book I've already read today, that won't really satisfy my need to treat myself.






Or do I get Don't Cry Wolf by Clair M. Poulsen? I don't know anything about it but it has a really cool cover and the back liner notes sound interesting. I've read a few of his other books and liked them. Maybe if this one was about werewolves, instead of regular wolves. . .



Or do I get . . . Arrggg!!! Enough, already!


So I gave the saleslady at Seagull a full-on crusty and told her that I hated her store with its crowded bookshelves and mocking yellow discount stickers. She laughed, then rang me up and I walked out with . . .


Her Good Name by Josi Kilpack. Because Josi never disappoints. And we have our home mortgage with Countrywide. (Miss the news report? Click here.) But most especially, I picked this one because I wish I had a pair of gold shoes like the ones on the cover. Not that I could actually wear them, what with me being very old and having a bad back. But still. They would look lovely on my feet now that I wear sandals again.



Then, to help deal with the stress of leaving so many other wonderful titles on the shelf, I went over to Wal-Mart and got some Nouggies.

7 comments:

ilya said...

i guess nobody cares about books anymore, so nobody visits this wonderfull blog. the country is full of morons.

J Scott Savage said...

Yeah, the whole Seagull dilemma. I recommend just closing your eyes, spinning around, and buying whatever you touch first. Of course you may want to stay away from the art section. That can get pricey!

And you're welcome for the ARC!

Sandra said...

Well, I know Josi will let you lend books, so when you are done with it....

And I would agree with you that David is a brat, if I didn't love his work so much. I have to be nice or he will start pouting and stop working. You know how brats are ;)

Josi said...

I won! OH, I'm so happy! And I give full permission for said book to be lent out :-) Thanks for the mention, Karlene, I hope you love it.

Heather B. Moore said...

Funny, I was in Seagull yesterday too. And I had the same dilemma. I'd already read Her Good Name and Far World, but I was looking for gifts, so I bought more copies. Maybe we should start a lending group :)

Sariah S. Wilson said...

Oh, oh, I vote for Servant to a King! Another heroine that doesn't take any guff from anyone! (But it is romantic and all. But funny too - and that's not just my conceit talking.) ;)

I found myself in the same dilemma on my recent trip to Utah - I wanted to take so many books home with me - I had to settle for limiting myself to five.

Kimberly said...

You poor woman!