Thursday, October 16, 2008

10 Things You Can't Do When You Work for Someone Else

After spending a depressing year and a half doing nearly nothing but watching Law and Order re-runs and eating nouggies, I have finally reached the point where I'm bored out of my mind. . . and I accepted a job offer. I will be working at a new bookstore opening about 5 minutes away from my house. Grand Opening is November 8th and I'll have more to say about that later.

This will be a new adventure for me. It's been a long time since I worked for someone else. When I left the interview (which was really good for my ego, what with all the begging me to come work for them), I felt really excited. Then this morning, reality hit as I realized all the things I'm going to be giving up.

  1. No more going back to bed with a good book on cold, blustery days.

  2. No more working on MY time line—which sometimes started at 6:00 a.m. (if I woke up early) or as late as midnight (if I couldn't sleep).

  3. No more taking a two hour nap in the middle of the day.

  4. No more blaming gas on the dog.

  5. No more spinning around in my chair and singing show tunes at the top of my lungs as a way to clear my head.

  6. No more spontaneous road trips.

  7. No more reading blogs or playing Spider Solitaire in the middle of the work day.

  8. No more wearing the same outfit two three days in a row.

  9. No more wearing mismatched clothes because they happen to be the only things that are clean.

  10. No more working in my PJs and fuzzy pink piggy slippers.

Nope. No more of that.

Instead, I have to be proper and professional at all times. (That's me, to the right. Well, it could be if I were blond, with long hair, and 20 years younger.)



And I have to remember to brush my teeth before I head off to work in the mornings.



This should be interesting.

10 comments:

Kimberly said...

Oh my! Much potential for mishap! Can't wait to hear about the interesting transition period.

Suan said...

welcome to the world of the working...it's really not all that neat...but it pays the bills :)
i think you will really enjoy it though since it is part time, so close to home and in a book store !

Josi said...

jobs--yuck. But boredom isn't so cool either. If I had to get a job, I'd want to work in a bookstore, but then they might get mad if I only pushed my books all the time :-) Can we pay you extra for marketing?

Sandra said...

so we all know which bookstore I will be stopping at on my home each day, huh?

I hate not being able to go back to bed in the mornings, and I hate having to go to work while the sun is still not up. But I miss working for you the most of all.

wrongshoes said...

I got laid off a couple of months ago and am already feeling like I lack direction... It's so easy when someone else is telling you what to do with yourself :-)

Tristi Pinkston said...

And less time to blog here for us, I imagine, but you'll tell us how it goes at the new place, right?

Jen said...

Good luck with the job! I worked at a book store back in the day, and it was FUN!

Rebecca Talley said...

Congrats on the new job. It'd be great fun to work in a bookstore, but big bummer about not being able to wear the pink fuzzy piggy slippers. Who knows, maybe they'd look nice with your power suit--couldn't hurt to ask :).

ali said...

LOL Karlene - great list! Sorry you'll be giving all those things up. But Congratulations!

It was awesome to see you the other day, too ...and to meet your husband and grandson!

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Oh - I remember when I went through that phase. I decided I needed a break from being mommy-at-home/bookkeeper-from-home. Luckily, my hubby was worked from home and was willing to let me sign-up to be a seasonal worker at a Christmas craft store. It actually worked wonders. I loved being out of the house and interacting with others. But when other employees quit without notice the week before Christmas & I went from part-time to full-time to help cover the shifts, I got more of a taste of working for someone else than I really wanted.

Man, was I ever glad to go back to being Mommy-at-home/bookkeeper-from-home.

I hope your experience turns our really well!