Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Breaking up is hard to do


Okay, so I've only briefly mentioned my tooth problems. . . but don't let the brevity fool you. I've been in varying degrees of discomfort and unable to chew on my left side since March.

Not being able to chew on one side is a little disturbing for someone with a mild OCD that wants things to be balanced inside the mouth.

My dentist, who is a very nice guy, decided that one of the metal fillings I got as a child was starting to degenerate and needed to be replaced. I wanted the white composite fillings because, well, who wouldn't want that?

After the filling was replaced, that tooth became very sensitive. It hurt a lot and I couldn't even get floss near it without it screaming in agony. It felt like an exposed nerve.

So I went back to the dentist and he replaced the filling in that tooth and did one in the tooth next to it—very nicely explaining to me that composite fillings were always causing problems and he didn't like them, blah-blah-blah. (If they're so bad, why does everyone get them?)

Anyway, that didn't work. It just made it worse. I went back again the next day and, oops!, there was some resin stuck on my tooth that made my bite all skeewampus.

Uhmm, shouldn't cleaning up slopped over resin be part of the job?

Anyway, it didn't help. Still sensitive. Still couldn't chew on that side. And the dentist, in the very nicest way possible, told me he didn't know what to do about it because the filling was just fine and maybe I needed to wait to give it time to settle down.

What?!?

Time for a new dentist. He immediately saw a couple of problems, scraped off more slopped over resin from the side of my tooth, and scheduled me for a re-do on both teeth.

Monday—goured out the fillings and put new ones in. I barely missed needing a root canal.

Tuesday—I could chew on that side.

Wednesday—for the first time in months, I woke up with no headache and having not dreamed about teeth!

Yea! I love this new dentist. He's great.

Now I just need to break up with my old dentist. The problem is, he's so nice. He actually called on Friday to see how I was doing and to say he'd thought of a few things he could try. I wimped out and told him I was really busy and I'd get back to him. I hate confrontation.

Any ideas for how to break up with someone so nice?


Now playing on my iPod: 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover by Paul Simon

8 comments:

Annette Lyon said...

Tough one. (Glad you're feeling so much better though!)

I had to break up with my dentist over his TMJ treatments. I was costing way too much and I got no results, but he kept saying to give it time. I gave him 7 1/2 months and then bagged it.

Trouble his, he's still our family dentist, and he's good. AWKWARD . . .

G. Parker said...

dang...that is a tough one. You might have to do it by letter...;)

Anna Maria Junus said...

What break-up? Just don't go back.

And if he does call, be honest. Tell him what happened. I'm sure he wouldn't want you in pain.

Rachelle said...

Ooh, not fun! You could just call the receptionist and say a friend recommended a dentist who deals specifically with those kinds of problems or something and you're going to try him or you did try him. You can do it! I had to break up with my dentist a couple years ago and I'm so glad. He wanted to fill a cavity that wasn't even there and 2 years later the tooth is still great!
I posted a review about the Scrapbox on my blog, if you’d like to see a pic, come visit!

Jeri said...

Isn't it crazy? I am the exact same - even when I'm not satisfied with something, I just CAN'T say anything because I don't want to "hurt" anyone's feeling. BAH!
I would be with Anna Maria - just not going back and HOPING they don't call again.

melanie lucille said...

YAY!!! I'm so glad you love the new dentist. I told you he was fantastic huh! :) When Ingersoll called me I didn't answer. Then the secretary called again and I nicely explained I was a dirty scoundrel and cheating on them with a new, better dentist. JK...kind of. I just basically said I found a new dentist that's closer to my home that my sister-in=law works for. You can totally use my excuse if you want. :)

~Whitney~ said...

I'm tellin ya -Little Shop of Horrors! Run away and don't look back! We still get the occasional phone call-I recommend a clean break. Glad you're feeling better. -w

Tristi Pinkston said...

I had to tell a dentist to go away. I just didn't go back, and when the receptionist called to reschedule, I was very honest and told her what had happened. She was very apologetic (he did a procedure without making sure I was numb first, and wouldn't stop to renumb me when I told him to) and I haven't been back since. I'm much happier now. :)