Thursday, May 07, 2009

Help! I need a little black dress...

For the wedding (48 days and counting), Megan has chosen to have moms and sisters wear black dresses (any style) and matching cardigans.

This is the Moms' cardigan:

The Sisters' cardigan is yellow. (I think it's this one but I'm not sure because the "fashion mom" is in charge of them.)

Now I just need to pick a little black dress to go under the cardigan. I've narrowed it down to four—none of them are exactly right. For example, all of them have short or no sleeves and I'd always have to wear it with a cardigan or jacket because I have flabby upper arms.

(To see bigger images, click on the pictures.)


I love the cowl neck but I'm concerned it won't look right with the cardigan. Also, I much prefer a longer dress because I hate wearing pantyhose. This one would definitely need pantyhose. Also, I probably wouldn't wear it much after the wedding, but at the great price, that's not really an issue.





I love, love, love this dress because 1) no pantyhose, and 2) great neckline and shape, but I'm thinking it might be too casual for a wedding. Also, it begs for sandals and I can't wear sandals because I have this deformed toenail that got much worse over the winter. (Don't ask.) I just think this might look silly with pumps. What do you think?





Love the length of this one and it would be fine with pumps. I'd have to find a coordinating under shirt or cami to wear with it because I'm not a plunging neckline kind of person. Other downside, do I want to wear a full length dress when I'm sure all the other moms and sisters will be wearing shorter length dresses? I'm a little self-conscious that way.





This really isn't a dress—although you can wear it as one (but I never would). I'd wear it as a skirt. I like the length, but it looks sort of unflattering on the model so I'm wondering what it would look like on me. Also, it's really hard to match black to black, so I'd have to go with a white top and then I'd be odd man out at the wedding with all the other black dresses.



What's your opinion? Which one should I get for the wedding?

11 comments:

Sandra said...

For you I like 2 or 3 and 2 would look ok with pumps. I got a black cammie from Kohls that I wear under my plunging neckline dresses and shirts. It is silk and very light.
Or I could make you a black insert for #4. I have some material I am using to make one of my dresses a smidge longer and I bet it would work.

Sandra said...

And if you end up not getting #4 I am so getting it. I love it.

Annette Lyon said...

I agree with Sandra. 2 and 3 would both work great, and I think both would work with pumps.

Cindy Beck said...

I liked number 1. I've seen people wear a cardigan with cowl neck sweaters and it's looked fine. So I think you could do it with no trouble. And you said the price was right.

Josi said...

I like 4 the best--and while black is hard to match, you'll have the cardigan breaking it up so it's not going to be that obvious that they aren't the same color. It also seems like the most versatile--one you can wear with other things as time goes on. I also like number 2--I think it would look great with pumps. Good luck!

Natasha Ireland said...

I like 3 MOST but I also like 1 and I think for a SUMMER wedding..shorter might be better??

Sinjin said...

Speaking as a man who happened upon your blog -- Dress #1. You don't like pantyhose? You shouldn't have to wear hosiery when it's warm but if you're going to -- try stay-up stockings.

Then when the weather is cool you can enjoy wearing the dress -- and wear hosiery and beautiful heels with it -- AND feel sexy in what you're wearing! Men love legs in pantyhose/stockings/tights! I say to all women: embrace that!!!

Erika said...

Okay, I'm having a hard time deciding between 3 and 1. I like the overall look of 3...it looks fancy, but I like the length of 1. Next I like 2 and 4 is my least favorite.

Jeri said...

i like #2

~Whitney~ said...

2 definitely! I keep hearing picnic/fun summer family gathering words from Megan... this speaks casual and comfortable. Plus it will be WARM. Be breezy and comfortable. I won't be wearing heels or nylons for sure. We'll be on the lawn alot, heels stick in the dirt. You'll look great no matter what you choose.

Anna Maria Junus said...

I like 2 best. You can dress it up or down and it looks flattering.