Here are a few of my favorite quotes from chapters 4, 5 & 6 of Julie Morgenstern's book, Organizing from the Inside Out.
- No matter what state of disorder your space may be in, I guarantee that buried beneath the rubble are some systems that are working just fine for you. (50) [Promise? There's hope? I'm not a loser?]
- Study your environment for your natural habits and tendencies; see if you can work with rather than fight against them. (51)
- Organizing is about designing your space so that it reflects who you are and what's important to you and arranging things logically and efficiently so that staying organized will be easy for you. (59)
- Design a system that is intuitive and natural to you so that you can find things and put them away again without too much thought. (70; emphasis added)
- Give each item a single, consistent home. (73)