Saturday, September 12, 2009

My Dad IS TOO A Genius!


These are my parents. They celebrated their 50th anniversary this past January. I have nothing but the utmost respect and love for them. They are truly two of my favorite people in the entire world. I could not imagine better parents, and I have no idea how I won the heavenly lottery that let me be assigned to them. I am grateful every day for them.

I wrote a tribute to my Mom here, and I've been meaning to write one to my dad. But this is not it (it's not eloquent enough), even though today I want to talk specifically about him. My dad is one of the smartest people I know—and when I call him a computer genius, I truly mean it.

So, imagine my surprise when someone said they thought I was dissing my dad's mad computer skillz in yesterday's post.

Okay, perhaps I tend slightly toward hyperbole here on this blog, and I have been known to be a tad sarcastic at times. But NEVER when it comes to either of my parents.

No, no, no, no, no!

They are both such wonderful people that I'm surprised they haven't been twinkled yet. (Mormon joke) (Except, I'm serious.)

My dad IS a computer genius. He got started back in the late 50s, early 60s and has done wonderful things. He was a programmer. He owned his own data-processing business for awhile. He developed a cool program to help the police track criminals. And even though he's retired, he still gets called in to consult on really complex programming jobs.

In fact, he's so smart with computers and programming that I can't even do him justice when I brag on how good he is because I don't really know what I'm talking about (as in, I don't have the proper lingo or the understanding of what he can do) (I DO know he's phenomenal).

So, no, I wasn't dissing my dad yesterday at all. It was his skillz that helped me out with the virtual PC in the first place, which would have worked for most people, but not for the type of work that I do.

And when it didn't work for me, he suggested several options—I chose to get a new PC.

And after I had spent hours trying to transfer my files, he was able to take over my computer from 2,000 miles away and fiddle with it.

And when that didn't work (because of the way my system was set up and the way the VM worked), he was the one who suggested I back my files up to Mozy, then download them to my new computer.

And it worked great! It just took overnight for the process to run.

So never, never, never think that I'm dissing my dad. Or my mom. Whenever I speak of them, imagine me speaking in the kindest, most loving and respectful voice possible.

Now, when I talk about my brother or my sisters. . .

Now playing on my iPod: We Are Family by Sister Sledge

2 comments:

Tristi said...

Well, of course they're awesome! I knew that from knowing their daughter!

Sandra said...

You know I love your parents too. I think they are the kindest people I have ever met and I am always happy to see them when they come to visit you.