Sunday, November 08, 2009

I suck at writing


Progress report for week 1 of NaNoWriMo—1,536 words.

I'm 14,210 words behind.


Several times during this past week, I planned to write for a few hours. Something always popped up and sucked away my writing time. So I decided that since I had nothing scheduled for Saturday, yesterday, I'd write all day. Good plan, right?

Well, I forgot that today is our monthly Family Dinner. So first thing yesterday, I got up and went to the grocery store. And since we have a couple of birthdays to celebrate, in addition to the menu, I had to pick out gifts and treats and all that jazz.

When I got home, one of my kids needed a ride to pick up her car from the shop. It didn't take long, so I totally didn't mind. It also gave me a few minutes of her undivided attention while we drove there—something I haven't had in awhile.

Then I remembered that I needed to get New Moon tickets and I better get them now while there are a few left. Our first theater choice was filled up already. So then I had to call everyone in my group and make sure they were okay with moving the venue. Calls, chit-chat and ticket ordering took about an hour.

Then it was time to go to Kris' rugby game. It was the last one of the season and I'd only made it to one other game—but I'd gotten there late and they'd taken him out already. (He normally plays a lot, but they were beating the other team so bad, they took the A team out and let the B team have some field time.) Since this is his last year and I've never actually seen him play, I had to go.

So then it was 3:00 p.m. Okay, I still had the rest of the day to write. Right? On the drive home, I noticed I still had Halloween nail polish on my nails. (I had scheduled a fill for today, but then cancelled it to write.) So I stopped at Sally's and got a file, polish remover, and a solid color polish that would hide the fact of my overdue fill.

By the time I got home, my brain was so fuzzy and tired I couldn't think straight, forget being creative. I tried to take a nap. No luck. So I filed and painted my nails.

And then...well, I don't really remember what happened after that. But eventually, I found myself asleep.

Total Saturday word count: 0.


So I got up early today planning to write before church (which is in an hour) because I'll be cooking and preparing for the kids and grandkids to come over after church.

I added 76 words to finish off chapter 1... And now I'm totally stuck. I don't know where to go next. How do I get to what actually happened when my main character found the body? Do I write it in the police interview room? Or have her tell her friends when she gets back to campus? Is chapter 1 long enough? Maybe I should put it at the end of that chapter, then start chapter 2 back at campus? And wait, when do I introduce her friends? And then...

Aaiieeehhhh!

At this point, I'm thinking she's so overwhelmed I'll just send her up to the roof to jump off. End of story.

Not really. But it's tempting.



So now that I've whined all over you, how are the rest of you Nano-ers doing?


Now playing on my iPod: I don't know because I clipped it to Lexie's belt when I sent her up to the roof...

5 comments:

melanie lucille said...

This reminds me of the story 'if you give a mouse a cookie'. :) Love you mom! inspiration will come and you'll be writing away and before you know your word goal will have come and gone.

xoxo

Nichole Giles said...

Oh my gosh. You're funny. If it makes you feel any better, I had a similar type day. With one exception. When I finally got home from all the busy stuff at around 10: 30, did the dishes, tucked the kids in bed, and loaded pictures from two different events into Facebook albums, it was almost midnight. My eyes were blurry and fuzzy and I was sure I'd fall asleep the minute I sat down.

But I got out my trusty netbook anyway, and without having a clue what I was writing, eeked out 1500 words by around 1:30 am. So...maybe that's the trick? To write when you're so tired you don't think you can?

Who knows? Anyway, you don't suck. Just quit thinking so hard and let your fingers do all the work. Maybe your character knows how she'll find the body, and you just have to let her do it? And if nothing else, you can fill the page with jibberish and bulk up that word count for later. Right?

Good luck!

Melanie Goldmund said...

That's part of the reason why I don't sign up for NaNoWriMo and other such things, because I just [i]know[/i] that the best-laid plans of mice and men and scribbling minions are going to be crushed, yea, pulverized under the juggernaut of real life.

But good luck to you for the rest of the month, anyway!

Annette Lyon said...

Lock yourself in a room with food, no phone, no internet. Then write ALL DAY. Beforehand, make a list of scenes you need to write so you can pump them out one after the other.

That'll get you caught up!

Go, Karlene, go!

One Cluttered Brain said...

Total Word count thus far=16,197
I write about 2,ooo words a day. But I had been thinking about my idea since OCT when I signed up.
If you TWEET let me know. I recently discovered its goodness and I want to know everyone's handle.
Mine in http://twitter.com/aquamarine 76