Sunday, November 01, 2009

If Billy Ray can do it...


Update. See below in red.

Did you know that Billy Ray Cyrus went quadruple platinum and built and entire career (with accompanying fortune) on a two-chord song?

I didn't. But that's what DH tells me is true.

That was his response to me when I was rehearsing to him my trials of the first day of NaNoWriMo.

When I woke up this morning and realized I had an extra hour in my life due to the time change, I decided to use it to start NaNo-ing.

I was really excited, until I actually started writing.

See, I'd started this YA mystery novel about a year ago. I had a little over 5,000 words on it.

And it was bor.i.ng.

I junked it all and started over.

I was writing in third person because, see, there's this group of kids who solve a mystery. And if this book goes well, they might solve another mystery, or two, or ten in the future. For that to work, it pretty much needs to be written in third person. Right?

So after an hour of struggling and only getting 300 words of pure and total stinkage, I was just about to throw in the towel. Yep. Give it up on day one.

But then, I decided that since I was a no-talent, hack writer and could never, ever be any better, I might as well give first-person a try. I mean, since the first book was so bad, there would be no chance of a series, so who cares, right?

I spent the next 10 minutes and I now have 531 words that don't totally suck. In fact, I kind of like them. So, I'm going with 1st person and letting the chips fall somewhere into the future.

As DH says, "If Billy Ray can do it, so can you!" How's that for support?

So, DH says I make him sound like a jerk. I didn't intend that at all. Not one bit. He was pacing my negativity and feeling like a failure, then telling me that I could do so much better than Billy Ray because of my natural inborn talent as a writer. See? He really was being supportive.

Now playing on my iPod: Achy Breaky Heart by Billy Ray Cyrus (my inspiration)

5 comments:

M. Gray said...

Hey, I LOVE first person!! Most of my favorite books are in first person--I love how unique a voice can ring true through an entire book. And I LOVE the intimacy I feel with the character. Good luck on your book! Yay! It's in first person!

Sandra said...

Tell DH that those of us that know and love him would never ever believe he was being a jerk. Silly man.

Josi said...

Some writers are better at first, some are better at third, a few can do both. Go with what you're most comfortable with. Good luck!

Nichole Giles said...

Hey, there's really nothing wrong with writing in first person. If the story calls for it, do it.

The whole "only hacks write in first person" idea is a myth anyway. And totally subjective.

Besides, who cares! No one doing NaNo is going to come away with a publishable book anyway. Get those words done, and you can edit them to death later.

Julie Wright said...

I love first person and am most comfortable there. Most books that I write in third feel stilted to me. So write on! And I think Miley Cyrus ought to do a remake of billy ray's song. I think she's cute enough she could make it another hit.