Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Times, they are a-changing...


If you've read my blog this year (or talked to me in person), you'll remember lots of references to being sick and feeling exhausted all the time. Bleck.

Most of my life, I've had "unusual" illnesses. I go to the doctor, they run a mountain of tests, and then they tell me they can't find anything wrong. Sorry.

So I go home thinking I'm a total hypochondriac wimp. Not a good thing to think about yourself.

But yesterday? I went back for a second visit at a new clinic. And things were different. VERY different.

As Trina reviewed my test results, she is saying things like, "This score tells me that your adrenals quit working around noon. I'm guessing somewhere in the mid-afternoon, you're feeling pretty exhausted, and once you sit down, you're done for the day."

Uhm, yes.

Then she says, "And this score tells me that your adrenal function, instead of decreasing at night, it flattens out and stays steady. I bet you have trouble getting to sleep."

Uhm, uh-huh.

Then she says, "These three scores tell me that you're having attention issues—like getting easily distracted and having trouble remembering things."

Ding-ding-ding-ding-ding! I think we have a winner!

There were several other issues, but you get the picture.

For the FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE, here was a medical person telling me that my tests accurately indicated what I was experiencing! I just about cried right there in the office.

The solution? Not drugs. (Yay!) Vitamins, minerals, natural supplements. She also gave me what they call a Meyer's Cocktail—an IV mix of B vitamins, C, magnesium and some other stuff. This morning, I already feel much, much better!


Now playing on my iPod: Changes by David Bowie

8 comments:

Kimberly Job said...

Very cool. Nothing is worse than being told nothing is wrong with you when you know there is.

Sounds like things are looking up!

Bethany Wiggins said...

Good health is priceless. I am so glad you found out why you were dragging!!! May the new year be full of energy during the day, and long, restful nights!

Jacqueline said...

Very excited to read this post as I have an apt in the New Year to look into essentially the same symptoms. Was this a saliva test? Also, here are some articles I've been reading that you might like (same treatment of adrenals with vitamins, etc.)... Eating to Support Your Adrenal Glands

I will also look into the Myers Cocktail. Interesting... Well, good luck to you!

- Jacqueline

Karlene said...

Jacqueline, Thanks for the link on adrenals. Yes, it was a saliva and a urine test. Day two on the supplements and I'm feeling even better. Good luck.

Kimber said...

Found you while wandering the net today (on christmas eve, pathetic, I know) through...mgray, I think. This sounds SO like me!Adrenals? What kind of Doc was she? Very interesting. Love your blog!

Kimber Lybbert
http://mentalmaytag.vox.com/

Annette Lyon said...

Yaaaaaaay!

Nichole Giles said...

Yahoo! I love when you finally find someone who KNOWS what they're talking about and how to help you. And that it's a natural cure? Ten times better. Congratulations on finding the right doctor.

Nichole

Connie Hall said...

I'm excited that you found a good doctor and will now start feeling like a new person. Wish I could have such luck. It seems every year my doctor moves so I'm constantly looking for a new person to help me. No wonder it doesn't ever work, but I'm excited for you.