Sunday, January 24, 2010

Somebody likes me

My bloggy friend, Connie Hall, gave me this award. I'm trying to remember if I've met her IRL. I think I did at last year's Storymakers conference (the next one is happening in April and I've already signed up).

I've had Connie on my blog reader for some time now (although I'm more of a lurker than a commenter). We have quite a bit in common—love of books and writing, friends (I know almost everyone on her blog friend list), Yahoo group. If you don't know Connie, go check out her blog.

Now, the rules for this award are:
  • Accept the award, post it on your blog together with the name of the person who has granted the award, and his or her blog link.

  • Pass the award on to up to 15 other blogs that you enjoy.

  • Remember to contact the bloggers to let them know they have been chosen for this award.

I have 115 blogs on my reader—and yes, I read them faithfully, although I don't usually comment.

I hate having to pick bloggers for awards—how do I decide who to award and who to leave out? A lot of my favs have already gotten this award, so...

To make this easier for me (because it's all about me, here, right?), I've decided to give this award to a few of my blogging friends who have books coming out soon (because I love books and I want to give my friends their props). All of these books are on my 2010 To Read List and they'll all get some type of review here. In the meantime, I hope you'll go check out their blogs.

Drum roll. . .


Annette Lyon at The Lyon's Tale

I can't remember how I first met Annette. Probably at a writers conference somewhere, and probably introduced through Tristi. I love Annette and I love her Word Nerd Wednesday posts. Annette usually writes LDS historical fiction but her new book, Band of Sisters (due to be released in March), is set in the present day, five women coping with life while their husbands are fighting the war on terror.



David West at Nephite Blood, Spartan Heart

I first met David IRL when he came into Provident Book. We talked books and publishing. Now I read his blog. He comes up with the funniest images sometimes. And the list of books he reads are definitely weird oddball eclectic. His debut book, Heroes of the Fallen, is due to come out any minute now. I'm excitedly awaiting a copy. (Picture me tapping my foot impatiently.)



Josi Kilpack at What is a Sundial in the Shade?

Again, I can't remember how I met Josi but I think she's wonderful. She offered to let me stop at her house during my Road Trip with Megan. I love Josi's books and her blog. Devil's Food Cake, #3 in her culinary mystery series, is coming out in February. Sadie Hoffmiller, the character first introduced in Lemon Tart is a wonderful busybody who gets herself into lots of trouble. She continues her adventures in English Trifle. I can't wait to see what she's up to in this one. The cover alone makes me drool!


Julie Bellon at Six LDS Writers and a Frog

I've known Julie forever. She tended my youngest daughter while I worked and was instrumental in searching for dirt on my DH (back before I married him). (She didn't find any.) Julie posts on the Six LDS Writers blog on Thursdays. Her new book, Dangerous Connections, is coming out in March. I'm sure I'll do some sort of review here where I pretend not to like her book but really, she is adored by romantic suspense lovers everywhere.



Karen Hoover at A Writer's Ramblings

I met Karen through the Utah Chapter of Blogger Babes. I really wanted to publish one of her books, but Rosehaven tanked before I could do it. Her debut book, The Sapphire Flute, will be released in March. I just got an ARC and I'm excited to read it. (I'll be posting a review on March 25th.) Her book isn't posted on Amazon yet, but you can read about it HERE on her publisher's site.



Kimberly Job at Scribbled Scraps

Someone already gave Kim this award, but I'm doing it again anyway. Kim was one of my girls when I was Young Women's President a million years ago. I moved. We lost touch. Then we met up again through mutual friends. Her blog has evolved, from tips on scrapbooking (which I loved) to info on books and her writing life. Her debut book, I'll Know You By Heart, is a romance to be released in March. It doesn't have a cover design yet, so I'm using a photo of her which I stole from her new website. (Isn't she lovely?)


Sarah Eden at Sarah M. Eden

Sarah's blog is hilariously funny, especially her "I Need Friends Friday" posts. I met Sarah at last year's Storymakers conference. Yes, I was a groupie and had her sign my copy of her book, Seeking Persephone, (which IMHO should have won the Whitney Award for romance). Her new book, Courting Miss Lancaster is coming out in March Can't wait!



Sheila Nielson at Sheila A. Nielson's Blog

Sheila and I have been in the same writer critique group for 10 years. She is a talented writer and her debut book, Forbidden Sea, isn't coming out until July but it's a great one. (Isn't that a stunning cover?) Sheila has several blogs. In addition to her personal blog featuring her adventures as a librarian, she also has one spotlighting Forbidden Sea, one that shows her incredible artwork and miniature jewelry, and one for her amazing doll collection.


Tristi Pinkston at Tristi Pinkston, LDS Author

I can't remember how I met Tristi but she's definitely become someone that I call a friend IRL (as proven by the fact that we've gone to both Twilight movies together). I enjoy her blog which is a great mix of life and humor and book reviews. Tristi is best known for her historical novels, but she's recently branched out to mystery. Her book, Agent in Old Lace, was her first suspense novel. Her next one, Secret Sisters is due out in April. I've read it and would classify it as a cozy mystery. Ida Mae is a hilarious character who tends to become overly involved in the lives of her friends and neighbors. Secret Sisters doesn't have a cover yet.

And that's it for now. Look for reviews of these books (and others) coming soon.

6 comments:

David J. West said...

Thank you very much Karlene, I will be getting you a copy as soon as possible.

And I love the cover to The Forbidden Sea! That's a clear case of the cover selling the book for me.

ha, word verification is no-necks!

Sheila A. Nielson said...

Karlene,

Bless your heart! This sweet blog award was just what I needed today. If it was allowed, I'd send this award right back at you! Thanks you for being such a great friend.

Tristi said...

Thank you most kindly, Miss Karlene!

Annette Lyon said...

Wow--thanks! And I'm in some very fine company, indeed!

Kimberly Job said...

Wow! Thanks so much for including me.

elizabeth mueller said...

I love the cover to Forbidden Sea, too!

Karlene, could you feature me when I become published? ;)

Thank you for posting this wonderful and most eventful phenomena of awesome writers!