Thursday, January 07, 2010

What do I love most?


Remember my dejunking and fix-up the house project I started last summer? The one I blogged about HERE?

You might think that the project has been discontinued or forgotten because I haven't been talking about it. And while it's true that the Yard Sale sort of threw my for a loop and stalled me out a bit, and that I had to put some of the renovation projects (aka: things that cost money) on temporary hold due to various "life happens" events, I'm still moving forward, even if it's at a snail's pace.

In fact, I just marked off a bunch of stuff on my Project Lists on the sidebar. (Go ahead and take a look. I'll wait.)

I've been thinking about all the things that have been stumbling blocks to me and keep me spinning my wheels. I think a big part of my problem is that I'm a "Depression Era" thinker living in a "Throw Away" world. It just about kills me to get rid of things that I might need some day if. . .
  • we lose our income

  • there's a disaster

  • the world comes to an end but we don't die

So I think myself around in circles and end up paralyzed. Over and over again.

However, one thing that has helped resolve some of this for me is turning 50. Surprise! It's changing my thinking. Something happens when you realize you've been here longer than you have left. You realize that you have limited time to do all the things you still want to do in this life. You have to start prioritizing and making time first for the things you want to do most.

Lately, as I'm confronted with new ideas or projects, or I'm trying to make decisions on what to keep and what to get rid of, I'm asking myself a new set of questions, the most important of which is, "What do I love most?"

For example, I love(d) making and selling my Twilight-inspired perfumes. But it's very labor and time intensive and there are things that I love more—like writing/publishing. If I have to pick between the two, I'm dropping the perfume.

And so I did.

As I dejunk a room, I find lots of little knick-knacks that I love—but there's not enough room for them all. So I have to ask, "Which one do I love most?" That's the one I keep.

And that Yard Sale thing and my plan to sell the leftover items on ebay or KSL.com? Well, I'd love the money that might generate, but I love the freedom of it BEING GONE and the time that I'll save by giving it to D.I. even MORE.

So, as soon as it warms up enough that I can stand to spend a few hours in the garage, it's outta here.

Loving something most means clearing out the clutter and making the time and space for it.

Now playing on my iPod: Crazy Little Thing Called Love by Queen

4 comments:

Jeri said...

and THAT is called LOVING YOURSELF! way to go!

David J. West said...

OK, so long as it's not books.

G. Parker said...

Ugh...50. It's this year for me. I feel the same way about things...I would rather just get rid of it. I've never had a successful garage sale, so it's not that hard of a decision... ;) Great job! You go, um, woman! grin. (can we still be called girls??)

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

Thanks! I really needed this. From now on when I'm cleaning I'll ask: Do I love it? What a great way to start the new year.