Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Seriously Ticked at Amazon


Due to my line of work, I own various eReaders—Kindle, Sony, Nook, iPod, SmartPhone.

But my favorite by far has always been the Kindle.

My sister and I have this ongoing disagreement over which is best—Kindle or Sony. She cannot convince me that the Sony is better because I am in loooove with my Kindle. I carry it with me everywhere I go. Sometimes I sleep with it at night. I love my Kindle so much that lately I find myself getting annoyed when I have to read a paper book.

So.

I've been reading the Morganville Vampire series—all as Kindle books. (I think I mentioned that somewhere.) In fact, Glass Houses, book #1 in this series, was the book that truly cemented my love affair with my Kindle. I finished it at 11:00 p.m. and it has a cliff-hanger ending. Because I had a Kindle, I was able to get book 2 in under a minute, instead of having to wait for the bookstore to open the next morning.

What does this have to do with me being ticked at Amazon?

Morganville Vampires #8, Kiss of Death, was released today. I pre-ordered it a month ago on Amazon. For my Kindle.

Last week, I got an email from Amazon canceling my order and stating there was a delay in eBook availability. I'm thinking the publisher is behind schedule in the conversions.

Imagine my TOTAL DISMAY when I get a gloating message from my sister this morning saying SONY has the eBook. (And it's only $5.99, which I can guarantee is less than Amazon would have it priced, if they had it.)

I did a little research and found this on Rachel Caine's blog:


HOWEVER .... please note that due to a dispute between Amazon and my publisher over ebook rights, KISS OF DEATH is not currently available in Kindle format. Hopefully, this will be resolved before the release date. As far as I know, it will be available for iPad, Nook, and other forms of ereaders!

WTH??!??


I am so sick and tired of Amazon fighting with publishers! I don't care who's right (even though I do come down on the side of the publishers; they should be able to set their own prices). I want my book! And I want it now!

So guess what Amazon? I'm giving you 24 hours to remedy the situation. If Kiss of Death is not available for Kindle by midnight tomorrow, I'm getting it from Sony. You and your stupid power trip will lose you a sale. And if it keeps up, it's going to continue losing you sales.

Now, I know I'm only one person and the sale of one book isn't even measurable as a drop in the bucket to you. But I can't be the only one who feels this way. Right, folks?



(Since I could find no way to contact Amazon from their site, I'm posting this open message in the hope that they will eventually GET IT!)

10 comments:

L.A. Harker said...

At least your troubles made for a great post! I love anger-fueled blogs. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Well you could solve all of your problems with a iPad which can read all of them..

Remember about seeing great pictures in your book and something like well it takes tooooooo long to display????

So you convienced me to get a Mac and I did now I am iMac fan. Love the iPad and will try and bring it when we come out.

Dad

Anonymous said...

Had to brag a little..

Karlene said...

I know. I want an iPad.

I can't believe my own father is leading me down the wrong path by making me break the 10th commandment. :s

suan said...

sony rocks !

Sheila said...

I am learning a lot from your sad experiences. I don't have any of these great readers yet, but this is helping me to make my decision in the future.

~~~~~~
Sheila Staley: Book Reviewer

Come visit me at
http://www.whynotbecauseisaidso.blogspot.com

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

I've often wondered which would be best: Sony or Kindle. Now I'm thinking maybe the IPad. Thanks for the post. :D

Nichole Giles said...

Okay, so at one point you had me sold on the Kindle. I still haven't broken down and bought an e-reader, even though I REAllY need one.

But I do lean toward the iPad, just because I love my iPod and iPhone. And I know how to use them.

Dumb Amazon. I'm sorry you can't get your book. That stinks!

Anonymous said...

I agree 100%! I too have read all the Morganville books and could not wait to download the new one yesterday. Needless to say, I was more than a little upset that it was NOT available for download. Because I have read all the others via Kindle, I had hoped to do the same with Kiss of Death. I hope they get this issue resolved soon!

Anna Maria Junus said...

I don't have an e-reader but would like to get one.

But it's so confusing. Now there's the Kobo being put out by Border/Chapters. The main negative I heard about the Kindle is that if you change e-readers you can't take your books with you. So once your with a Kindle, you always have to buy a Kindle. And you can't buy Kindle books for other readers.

The i-pad looks pretty neat, but it's awfully small for reading.