Thursday, May 13, 2010

Island Fun in the Sun


The honeymooners are going to Hawaii.

I feel safe posting that because Hawaii is a big place and they're not staying in the usual touristy spots.

I've never been to Hawaii myself. I asked the loverly couple if I could tag along but they just gave me this blank stare and never really responded.

I'm thinking that was probably a "no," right?

So for those of you who've been to Hawaii, or who Googled Hawaii and found a cool place...


Today's Contest:
What should they see/do in Hawaii and why?
Give us details. Example: Don't say "Snorkeling."
Say "Snorkeling at ___ because ___."


Prize: Your choice here.


Here are the details for this contest:
  • Post your suggestions in the comments by midnight, Sunday, May 16, 2010.

  • Keep it family friendly.

  • The winner will be whomever suggests the coolest place or activity.

  • To win the prize you must live in or have a ship to address in the U.S. or Canada. (If you live out of the country, you're welcome to have me send it to someone stateside as a gift from you.)

6 comments:

Jeri said...

a friend of mine just got back and she LOVED Swimming with the dolphins a Sea Life Park (oahu). She also says to not buy ANY souvenirs until AFTER you go to the swap meet/flea market at Aloha stadium. said the prices are easily 1/2 what you'll pay everywhere else...!

Tim is taking me to Hawaii in the fall and these are two of the things on our list to do. (along with the usual; Polynesian Cultural Center, temple, etc...

Anonymous said...

They should visit the budist temple, and the uss arizona and submarine.
I thought they were a couple of the more fun places I visited while I was there other than the obvious.
Paula

Anonymous said...

They should go snorkeling in the hananuma bay, visit pali lookout that is really pretty. The dole plantation my mom said was pretty cool. Go to the northshore which where they film all the surfing movies and stuff. Maybe if they get lucky they will be filming one and the couple might get to see that. That would be awesome.
Thats all I have for now.
Kandis

Anonymous said...

What about the Polynesian Cultural Center?

We saw some neat sand samples at Coral Pink Sand Dunes - one was from Hawaii and was beautiful, tiny, very green crystals - they should ask where to find that beach.

Yvonne

Rebecca Talley said...

Definitely Germaine's Luau. The comments from the guide are worth the price. They take you by bus from Waikiki (Sheraton) to a beach about 27 miles away. You get all the soda you can drink and virgin specialty drinks. They roast a pig in a sand pit and have this big ceremony. The entertainment is fabulous, especially if your husband agrees to get on stage and hula. Very fun. (Beware of the poi and this see-through noodle dish).

All-you-can-eat restaurant a few blocks from Waikiki beach. We had fresh papaya and pineapple each morning.

Catamarran ride from the Waikiki shore to go snorkeling with sea turtles and then sail out to Diamondhead.

Surfing lessons. Disclaimer: only do this if you are in shape, can balance, haven't had 10 kids, and aren't old as dirt--I think your kids would be safe :). I was pretty sure I'd die out there in the waves trying to surf.

International Marketplace in Waikiki. Never pay full price for anything because all merchants are willing to make deals. Cool stuff.

I was there in March and loved it. They'll have so much fun!

Dede said...

They MUST go to the swap meet in Honolulu (if they'll be around there)....I believe it's called Aloha Stadium, Aloha building or something like that. They also need to go to the Pineapple "park" closer to the north end of Oahu...there they will taste the best pineapple sorbet on this planet!!!