Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Need Some Help Getting Your Priorities Prioritized? Have I Got a Deal for You!


Okay, this is going to sound like an ad for a class I took last month but bear with me because once I get the details out of the way, I'm going to share some specifics about what I learned about myself and how it's changing my life.

The reason the rah-rah stuff is getting placed first is because there's a deadline to register—and it's coming up fast. So if you are interested, you'll need to sign up soon!

What: Chalene Johnson's 30 Day Challenge to Master Organization and Achieve Your Goals

When: March 1st

Where: Online; daily e-mails with links to short videos.

Cost: FREE

Registration Deadline: This week (I'm assuming Saturday?)


I had planned to blog about this in-depth earlier (really wishing I'd blogged as I took the course but wanted to make sure I could whole-heartedly recommend it first.) (And yes, I can.) but a) I've been incredibly busy putting what I learned when I took this class to work; and b) I got an awful cold and couldn't think for several days.

First, let me get a few things out of the way:
  1. No, Chalene nor anyone on her staff nor anywhere in the course was I asked to blog about this challenge.

  2. No, I receive no remuneration or freebies or entries into a contest or anything else for posting about this challenge. I'm doing it because I genuinely found it to be helpful and amazing.

  3. No, the course doesn't cost anything and no, you won't be spammed with a gazillion offers to purchase other stuff. Yes, you learn about Chalene's other products that do cost money, but in a very subtle way which you can totally ignore if you want. And no, you do not need any of those products to take the course.
Okay. So. Here are some of the personal details.

I started this 30-day personal challenge course on January 17th. My daughter told me about it. She was very excited over what she'd learned so far in the course and wanted me to know about it. Because she's my daughter and because I'm interested in her life and because I trust her, I checked it out.

At first I was reluctant to do the course—it seemed like just another priority-making, goal-setting program, and I’ve done a zillion of them already! But, encouraged by McKenna’s enthusiasm, I finally decided to give it a try. And I’m glad I did because in less than a week, it was already helping me to make changes in my life.

For example...

Priority Clarification
When people ask what my #1 priority in life is, I've always immediately answered, "my family." For years, this was true. But now that my children have grown and have lives of their own, I've realized that they are no longer my first priority. They are still right there at the top, but my first priority (now that I'm in a different phase of life) is completing the measure of my creation—determining what it is God wants me to do with my life, what unique talents and skills He's given me, and how best to use them in the time I have left on this earth.

Goals (aka 'What do I want to do when I grow up?')
Over the process of a few weeks, I've really firmed up what I want to do in life. This has always been a little fuzzy for me because there are so many fun and interesting things to do. And I have the attention span of a gnat—always flitting from one thing to another. But the homework assignments made it crystal clear to me that within all that flitting, there is a definite pattern that stands out in bold, ALL CAPS, and neon colors! Recognizing that pattern (which has been there since Kindergarten) and feeling the confirmation of the Spirit has really helped me cut through all the fluff and determine what I want to do when I grow up.

Time Management/To Do Lists
I used to use the paper Franklin Covey system, and loved it. Then I went computerized with that same system, but didn't love it. I tried to go back to paper but that didn't work either. I've been stuck in limbo without a good way to manage things for years. Chalene's system makes perfect sense to my brain and I've had incredible success since I've been using it.

Business Growth
I've been trying to figure out how to re-launch my publishing company since I closed it down in 2006. Not much luck at all. I did re-define my typesetting business (which I've been doing since 1991, but it had petered out to nearly nothing the last few years) and re-launched it a year ago. I've been marketing and talking and promoting all year but not getting enough work to keep me as busy as I wanted to be. In fact, I've been seriously considering getting a "real" job somewhere. But this month? I've got more work than I know what to do with!!! E-book formatting jobs coming out my ears and contracts to publish three books! (Sorry, Wal-Mart. I won't be applying for position as greeter any time soon.)

This is just a little bit of what has changed in my life as a result of the things I learned taking Chalene Johnson's 30 Day Challenge to Master Organization and Achieve Your Goals. I'll do more posts over the next few weeks and go into more detail. But I just wanted to let everyone know NOW what a great program I think this is.

So, bottom line. If you're struggling with priorities and goals, looking for help, and are a little bit of a techno-geek (as in, you aren't afraid of your cell phone and you know how to use the Internet), then I highly recommend getting in on this next course which starts March 1st.

The End.

2 comments:

CL Beck, author said...

Thanks for the info, Karlene. I went out and signed up! :)

Mellissa said...

That's great that you are keeping busy without having to get a J-O-B

I think I will give it a try too.