Friday, September 02, 2011

Josi Kilpack on a Roll!


Okay, so puns are lame—but I couldn't help myself.

Last weekend, I had three books I've been dying to read sitting on my nightstand. It was a very, very tough decision as to which to read first.

But because Josi S. Kilpack has NEVER failed to entertain me, I decided on Pumpkin Roll.

And yes, Josi did it again!

If you like culinary mysteries, the Sadie Hoffmiller series is my absolute all-time favorite. I like that Sadie is mature (but not old), kind, creative, interested in others, and trying to redefine herself in life—kind of like me. and Pumpkin Roll is the best of the bunch! I give it a FULL 5 STARS!

Not that the previous books are bad. They are all very, very good. (One of the books only got 4 stars; the rest are full 5s!)

This series just keeps getting better and better—and harder for me to figure out ahead of time.

This one totally surprised me when the who-dunnit was revealed. Not totally surprised in a way that it didn't make sense and I wanted to throw the book across the room (I hate books like that) but totally surprised in the way that Josi very deftly left clues and hints all along the way, but kept them subtle enough that I was still guessing at the end. (I had it narrowed down to two.)

In this book, Sadie travels to Boston to help Pete (her boyfriend) tend his grandsons. Here's the backliner:
Sadie Hoffmiller is looking forward to spending her favorite baking season of the year making delicious New England recipes in Boston, Massachusetts, with her favorite leading man, Pete Cunningham, as they babysit his three young grandsons. But when the boys insist that Mrs. Wapple, the woman who lives across the street, is a witch, Sadie and Pete are anxious to distract the boys from such Halloween-induced ideas. However, it gets harder and harder to explain the strange things that keep happening, particularly after Sadie learns the eccentric Mrs. Wapple has been attacked in her home.
As the unexplained occurrences escalate, Sadie finds herself embroiled in yet another mystery with life-or-death consequences. Can Sadie discover whoever—or whatever—is behind the mystery before anyone else gets hurt? Or will this be Sadie’s last case?
Pumpkin Roll is book 6 in the series, and while some of the books can be read out of order, you really need to read previous ones to fully enjoy this one.
Pumpkin Roll's official release date is September 7th, but it's available at Amazon now and it should start showing up in stores any second. (I got my copy early because I have connections—and I know how to grovel.)
You can read the first chapter here.
Oh, and I almost forgot! Josi and her publisher are hosting an awesome drawing for an iPad. (This contest did not at all influence my review, as you would know if you're my friend on Goodreads.) (Devil's Food Cake and Key Lime Pie made my top 10 list for 2010.)
In conjunction with the release of Pumpkin Roll the author, Josi S. Kilpack, and the publisher, Shadow Mountain, are sponsoring a contest for a new iPad. To enter, leave a comment in the comment section of this blog before November 1, 2011. Winners will be announced and notified November 3rd 2011.
For additional ways to enter, go to www.josiskilpack.com
Sadie Hoffmiller series (in order):
  1. Lemon Tart
  2. English Trifle
  3. Devil's Food Cake
  4. Key Lime Pie
  5. Blackberry Crumble
  6. Pumpkin Roll

63 comments:

Tamera Westhoff said...

I would love an Ipad and I wish I could find the right person to grovel to and get awesome books before they come out mainstream! I can't wait to read it!

Evelyn said...

An ipad...awesome! A new book from Josi Killpack...awesome!

Emily M. said...

I love this series! I would love to win.

Jeri said...

sounds like a yummy read. 9adn the ipad would be great too1

Annette Lyon said...

I love Josi's books. Looking forward to another one!

Heather B. Moore said...

Can't wait to read this!

G. Parker said...

Love her books, and can't wait to get my hands on this one!! sigh. They get better and better all the time...

Cheri Chesley said...

I've been really anticipating this one!!

Karen Hoover said...

I can't wait to read it@ Josi is awesome.

Brooke said...

I love Josi's books. This would be a fun win!

April said...

I am counting down the days until this one comes out!!!

Mindy said...

I've got this book on my shelf already, and an iPad would be amazing!

Anna Maria Junus said...

I want an ipad! And I love puns. And I love Josie's books. And I want an ipad.

Andrea said...

I'm so excited to read Pumpkin Roll! Winning an iPad2 wouldn't be bad either. ;)

Ariell Larson said...

Thanks for the opportunity, can't wait to read Pumpkin Roll!

Michelle said...

Thanks for the list of the books in the series in reading order. Being a new to me author I am extremely interested in all the titles and want to make sure to read them in order. Pumpkin Roll has grabbed my interest and I will be looking into the other titles as soon as I am done. Thanks for a great contest also.

Mormon Mom Cast said...

LOVE her books (Pumpkin Roll is Halloween creepy and fabulous!) and I'd LOVE an iPad! :)

-Whit

PoCoKat said...

Sounds like a great series, would love to win!!!

Stephanie said...

I have liked all the books in the series so far and this one sounds unique from the others in its Halloweenish story...I am excited to read it!

Hales Family said...

I'd never heard of this author or book, but a friend just recommended it through this contest so I guess I'll need to get a hold of a copy to read!

Brittney Hales
brittney.hales@gmail.com

Jenn said...

I love this series! Fantastic food-lit!

jenn(at) girlsjustreading (dot) com

Caren with a "C" said...

I'm jealous you got the book already! I'm waiting for the Kindle edition I pre-ordered... it better get released quick as I'm dying to read it. I agree... Josi is good at not making the 'who did it' person obvious. She surprises me all the time and I don't think I'm surprised very often.

Lacy said...

so excited to read this! thanks for the opportunity to win :)

suzy said...

love this series. and pumpkin roll is just in time for my bday! yay!

johnsoncircus said...

so excited for this book and a chance at an Ipad!!!

The Dales said...

Love Josi's books! Can't wait to read Pumpkin Roll! And would love an Ipad!

Kristin said...

Excited for both the release of Pumpkin Roll and the chance to win an iPad!!!

Megan said...

There is nothing better than good food and a great book. Can't wait to read the next book.

Stephanie Black said...

And not only are Josi's books awesome, but she has the tastiest-looking covers. Yum!

Alice said...

I enjoy a good mystery and would love to win the ipad!

Jordan McCollum said...

What an awesome contest! I really enjoyed Sadie's first adventures (but I'm waaay behind in the series).

Kirsten said...

yum

Unknown said...

Lucky! I hate waiting for books.
Cammi

Chris said...

I can't wait to read this one..wishing it was available on the Nook as well as the Kindle, because I just received my dad's old Nook :)

kissyjensen at gmail dot com

Fireflywishes said...

Thanks for an opportunity to win the iPad! :)

myshelfconfessions at gmail dot com

April @ My Shelf Confessions

brendajean said...

Love all of Josi's books. Am excited for this one too:)

bchild5 at aol dot com

Laura B said...

I've only read a couple of her books, but I'm going to have to read more. They sound so fun.

Sherril said...

I love this series it is one of the best out there.Cool contest

books4me said...

I LOVE a challenge...I ALWAYS figure out the ending to movies and books...could this beat me??!

books4me67 at ymail.com

Taffy said...

Excellent post and review, Karlene!

Joan Sowards said...

Josi is a talented author and I look forward to reading Pumpkin Roll! And what a great drawing. Please enter me.

apple blossom said...

Oh, I'm reading Pumpkin Roll right now. I'd love to win IPad for my hubby for Christmas.
Thanks
ABreading4fun [at] gmail [dot] com

MStavros said...

Can't wait to pick this up. Congrats Josi.

krstrpp said...

Pumpkin Roll looks like a delightful read. Thanks for the chance to win an iPad. (krstrpp at hotmail dot com)

Cathy said...

This was an amazing book! I can't wait to read more!

Lisa Ann said...

Pumpkin Roll was another one of those amazing books by Josi Kilpack. All the Culinary Mysteries are those books that you can't put down once you start reading them and you must read the whole series, because they are so good!

Deb said...

I am excited to read this book! Love the series and what a giveaway! Exciting!

pduthoy said...

I love mysteries, and I would love an iPad. Thanks.

Cristina said...

Really good review. I was surprised too - and in the good way. Josi writes very well. :)

Matt Ferrell said...

Nice giveaway! Thanks to you, Josi S. Kilpack and Shadow Mountain for it!

animasou @ comcast . net

Sharon said...

I am inspired to read this series! It sounds wonderful!

Crissy said...

Sounds like a delicious story! Thanks for the giveaway!

SquirrelQueen said...

Pumpkin Roll was a fun read! I'm looking forward to Banana Split!

Patrick Jolley said...

Cool way to promote a book - serve it on an iPad2!

Dina said...

I love cozy mysteries!

DarcyO said...

I love a good cozy. Great contest, too!

dlodden at frontiernet dot net

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

The more reviews I see, the more I want to read this one. I've loved this series!

je2kids(at)gmail(dot)com

2 Kids and Tired Books

Lady DragonKeeper said...

Sounds delicious and just in time for Halloween!

Thanks for the chance to win!

jafuchi7[at]hawaii[dot]edu

Queen B said...

Sounds like a great read!
farr2cute(at)gmailDOTcom

Family Attic said...

I love this series and I'm looking forward to reading Pumpkin Roll. Thanks for the great stories.

Merry said...

I am excited to read this book! I hope I win!

Brittney said...

I love Sadie!!!

Naddez said...

I would love to read this book. Thanks for sharing!

sam94son05@sbcglobal.net