Saturday, September 15, 2012

Curses, Foiled Again!

[I am stuck in the hotel room with a sore toe, so the blog party is back on--starting now.]


Wednesday, I left early for the airport. My Jeep was packed, my errands were run.

What was I gonna' do? Go back home and stare at the walls for an hour or three?

So, off I go!

The Plan: Stop at the Park 'n Wait and read until Elaine calls, then pick her up at the curb.

The Plan was going smoothly and I was several chapters into reading a new book when nature calls.

One of the downsides of aging is when nature calls, you answer. Fast.

But I thought, that's okay. I'll just go park and read inside the airport while I wait. It's worth a few bucks to answer the call of nature and wait in air-conditioned comfort.

Now this is where I should note: I've done Park 'n Wait and curbside drop-off/pick-up for years now. I was vaguely aware of renovations at the airport, including new parking options, but it's never been an  issue because... well, curbside.

There are three signs: Economy Parking, Terminal, and Drop Off/Pick Up. Telll me, which one would YOU have chosen? Economy Parking, right?

Wrong. I end up in this vast wasteland of parked cars.

I miss the shuttle by seconds and I'm afraid to wait for the next one because, you know, nature and all. But there's a sign that says "Pedestrian Walkway to Terminals." If they've provided a walkway, it can't be too far, right? Surely it's only a short walk? Right? RIGHT?

Two minutes later, I realize I've forgotten Elaine's welcome sign. She wanted a sign so I made one.
And it  took hours and hours and hours to be this creative. No way was I leaving it in the car! 

So I got the sign and the red, white & blue lei. And of course, there's no shuttle in sight and I REALLY need to hustle.

5 minutes later, I see the covered parking. WTHeck?

I realize my mistake but by now, I don't have time to go back to the car, check out of the economy parking, circle around the airport again and repark in the covered parking.

I. AM. DESPERATE. Surely it's not too much farther...

At this point, I'm seriously regretting my choice of footwear.


I picked these flip flops, not because they're comfy but because 1) they are matching sisters flip flops; 2) I don't expect to do too much walking; and 3) pretty!

Another 5 minutes later, I finally get to a building with a bathroom. Relief. But am I there yet? No.

I still have another short hike to the terminal.

*SIGH*

I'm just happy I got me some tres leches cupcakes to distract me from the foot pain.

And then FINALLY, after six years of waiting, Elaine gets here.

Did I say she wanted a sign?

Elaine holding her sign.

Apparently I was supposed to say QUEEN Elaine on the sign. Picky.

Then we go pick up Suan. She wanted a sign too.

Just in case you can't read the fine print...

And we're on the road. Next stop? Orange Leaf.

Contest: Describe your favorite pair of flip flops in the comments. At the end of our trip, I'll do a random drawing for a winner. Winner will receive a momento from our trip.

Contest Ends: Monday, September 17, 2012. Winners announced on Tuesday, Sept 18th.
Prizes shipped within the contiguous U.S. only. If you live outside the U.S., you can still play but you'll receive a digital book as your prize.

3 comments:

Earnestine Novick said...

I know that and had been in the same scenario countless times, to end up with just getting a taxi service. That’s what I did in my last trip to Toronto, and what a convenience it was! The only trouble was waiting in the pick-up/drop off station. It can be quite a fiasco in there with all the passengers. But it didn’t take me long. I think I just got lucky with the transport service provider I hired.

Andrina Royceston said...

Woah..how far do you suppose you walked? A couple of miles, maybe? Last month, I had a wedding to attend in Austin, TX. Of course, after a long trip, the only thing you want to do is to have someone drive you around and to your destination. So, I rented a taxi in advance so that when I got to the terminal, I wouldn’t feel lost and stressed.

Saundra Philbrick said...

I can't imagine how you feel that day. It must be SO frustrating to walk that far while you're having a call of nature. Hmmm... I think it's better if you hired the personal service, so that you wouldn't have to walk long miles just to reach the terminal. You just have to be dropped off in front of the terminal, and you can just send it off in the parking lot.