Thursday, February 07, 2013

My 2012 Whitney Finalists Checklist

The 2012 Whitney Award Finalists have been announced! Hooray!!

Every year on finalist day, I get a little giddy. All these books—pre-read by a panel of authors, publishers, readers—and deemed the best of the best from LDS authors! It means about six weeks of heavy reading that I can legitimately call "work" because I have to stay up on my industry, right?

From the comfort of my warm, cozy bed and wearing jammies and my piggie slippers all day long, I can legitimately have these conversations:

  • Karlene, can you code this ebook for me? No. I'm busy working.

  • Karlene, can you come to a meeting in Salt Lake? No. I'm busy working.

  • Karlene, can you please clean the house? No. I'm busy working.

Have you seen the list??? I've only read 11 of these titles, so I have a LOT of delicious reading to do.

Go take a look. I'll wait.  (cue Jeopardy music...)

I've already got my tracking lists made and I'm only waiting for the library to open.

What, you ask, is a tracking list? Two pages of checklisty goodness. And I'm willing to share.

Page one: Titles listed by category with checkboxes for when I've read them and a line for notes. (I usually put in a score from 1-5 and maybe a few words about the book in the space beneath it.)

Page two: The library list with titles sorted by author's last name. I keep this one in my purse at all times, in case  I have extra time at the library or I run into another reader friend who is willing to loan books. I use a code to track it, like a dot if I have checked it out; OH = I've put it on hold; AF = it's at an alternate library but not currently available for check out; K = if I have it on my Kindle; an X if I've read it.



And feel free to pass it around to anyone who may want it.


*tick-tock*

*I can't believe my library doesn't open until 9:00 a.m.*

*I need to move somewhere that has a 24/7 library system.*

2 comments:

Theresa Small Sneed said...

Love this idea - going to use it! :)

Carolyn Twede Frank said...

I agree, great idea.