Saturday, June 01, 2013

Fearless Auto Care – Review

Normally, I don't review non-fiction. But when I was contacted about Fearless Auto Care by Donna and Warren McCord, I agreed to a review.

Mainly because I am lost when it comes to cars.

How lost am I? Well, let's just say that when someone asks me what kind of car I drive, I say, "Dark red."

Okay, not really. I know it's a Jeep because it says so on the back bumper area.

But still. I don't know cars.

From the publisher:
Women and cars have a lot more in common than you may think. Both deserve TLC. Men love us. But when everything is going well, we can both be taken for granted. The truth is, we both need consistent attention and loving care to stay healthy and live long! In this little book, you will NOT learn how to do your own repairs-you WILL learn how to be in control of your vehicle's care, to know when it is necessary to bring your car in for professional service or repair, and to be confident that you are getting the best return for the dollars you're investing. Knowledge is power-and a money-saver, too!

In this little book, you will NOT learn how to do your own repairs—you WILL learn how to be in control of your vehicle’s care, to know when it is necessary to bring your car in for professional service or repair, and to be confident that you are getting the best return for the dollars you’re investing. Knowledge is power—and a money-saver, too!

Donna and Warren own Dean's Automotive in Mountain View, California. I have no idea how they connected with me as a reviewer, but I'm glad they did! Dean’s Automotive has been in business since 1963. One of the owners, Donna, has especially been aware of how intimidated women feel in regards to servicing their vehicle. She wants to take the fear out of this whole process and has written this book geared towards women on learning how to get their vehicle serviced without the worry that so many times goes along with it.

This little book is short (only 92 pages, counting the blank ones) and easy to read. I've attempted to read other car care books that tell me when I'm supposed to do all that maintenance stuff and I've put them down after the first few pages because I can't figure out what the heck they are talking about.

This one is different. I get it. I understood almost all of it—and it made sense.

And I learned stuff. For example, did you know that there's a CABIN AIR FILTER in your car? I didn't. I'D never even heard of it before. But now, when my darling grandson says, "Grandma, your car smells a little like sickness," I know it's time to get that filter changed!

Also, have you ever had a dealer tell you that you MUST bring your car in for maintenance at their shop or it will void the warranty? I have. Well, guess what? LIE!

I really like that there are places in the book to record the specific needs of YOUR car. And that they tell you how to find a reputable car maintenance shop. I'm always afraid that due to my basic ignorance, and the fact that I'm a woman, that the shop guys will try to put something past me. (They have. And they've succeeded.) But with these tips, I no longer need to feel so vulnerable and naive.

I recommend this little book to women who don't want to know enough to fix their own car, but who need to know enough not to get ripped off! If you're interested, you can get a copy at www.ourlittlebooks.com.

FTC Disclaimer: I was given a PDF of Fearless Auto Care in exchange for an honest review.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

I NEED this book, like yesterday.